Resize C partition from G using PartitionMagic 8.0,then can't enter D,E,F partition!

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Computer have C,D,E,F,G 5 partitions,total 40GB,originally C only has 5GB, G have 20 GB, I want to use PartitionMagic 8.0 to resize C from 5GB to 15GB.
Because C only have 100MB left , so I install Partition Magic 8 to D partition, after the system restart and resize the C partition ,I found only C and G partition were ok, others only have the partition mark, D,E,F ,but have no information and can't enter them. and also I found the Partition Magic8 can't work.
with Now C has 15GB and G has 10GB, I install the Partition Magic 8 to C,and run it , in the soft, I found D,E, F all were ok,using the check errors function can find no error. I use a win98 CD to start the computer and run scandisk & Chkdsk D,E, F ,but found no errror.
except format D,E,F, I don't know how to recover them, I hope I can get your help!

The only way to this, is by resizing first and then moving everything.
For this to work, your G-partition must have more than 10GB free. If not, delete some stuff or burn it onto CD.

Example current setup:
---5-----5-----5-----5-----------20-----------
---C-----D-----E-----F-----------G------------
|xxxxx|xxxxx|xxxxx|xxxxx|xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx|

What you want is:
------15-----------5-----5-----5------10-----
-------C-----------D-----E-----F------G------
|xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx|xxxxx|xxxxx|xxxxx|xxxxxxxxxx|

The only way to do this is:
1) RESIZE G from 20 to 10GB, at the END of the former G-space.
---C-----D-----E-----F---empty-------G-----
|xxxxx|xxxxx|xxxxx|xxxxx|............|xxxxxxxxxx|

2) MOVE F to the right, next to G
---C-----D-----E----empty----F------G----
|xxxxx|xxxxx|xxxxx|............|xxxxx|xxxxxxxxxx|

3) MOVE E to the right, as in 2)
4) MOVE D to the right, as in 2)
---C----empty-----D-----E-----F------G----
|xxxxx|............|xxxxx|xxxxx|xxxxx|xxxxxxxxxx|

5) RESIZE C to include the free space, so it becomes 15GB
-------C-----------D-----E-----F------G------
|xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx|xxxxx|xxxxx|xxxxx|xxxxxxxxxx|

What you have done, is to wipe the contents of D and E probably, by expanding the C-drive.
That's why they make manuals and have help-files and wizards.
I am afraid you lost your data.

further question

Thank you realblackstuff!
Actually when I resized C from G using the PM8.0 guidance,it showed that there were 6 steps would be carried out. As what you have replied,
step1
at first moving data in G then empty 10GB,
step2
adding it to F,then moving data in F and empty 10GB,
step3
E
step4
D
step5

step6....at last add 10GB to C partition.

But I think maybe the key point is that the position of the PM8.0,at the first time PM8.0 has to be installed to D partition because of the C space limitation. Then only the first and the last two steps of the 6 steps process have been carried out , the steps of moving data in F,E ,D haven't been carried out. Then after the operation system start, I found the D,E,F partition only have the name but no more information. and also the PM8.0 can't work.
After I reinstall PM8.0 in C, and run it , information about D,E,F can also be found ,such as the size of the partition and the used part size. I try the same work, adding 100MB from G to C, this time all 6 steps work properly. But the operation system-WINXP Sp2 still can't give more information about D,E,F. as I click the D,or E,or F, it show a message window "the partition has not be formatted,do you want to format it?"
What I want to know is whether my analysis is right and more important, can I recover the D,E,F partition?

I work with 2 harddisks, so the step to reinstall PM onto another partition was not considered (in my example).
What you SHOULD have done, is ASK BEFORE you let loose.
I doubt very much that you can recover those partitions.
The way you started expanding C, immediately took space (and data) away from the D and F partitions presumably.
Hope you made a backup first!
Maybe someone else knows if that data is recoverable?

yep run file scavenger
those files are still there only way to not get them is if
disc where files where is over written 0 fill or LLF (same thing)
I am sure there will be some lost files
but you should be able to get most back

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back