TechSpot

Resize LVM?

By Bluemouse
Jul 1, 2007
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hey,

I have a LVM partition that takes up WAAAY too much space (499 gigs). How would I resize it (physical and logical) to use like 10 gigs and give me the remaining 489 gigs as NTFS or something?

Are there any tools? I really would prefer to not have to uninstall/reinstall stuff, because I JUST got my darn linux to boot properly though vista boot loader, and it is still a bit confusing :) (Using Fedora 7)

Thanks!

2. Nodsu

Nodsu TS Rookie Posts: 9,431

3. Bluemouse

Bluemouse TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 405

Thanks for the article, but I thought the default was ext3 and not ext2 for Fedora 7?

What would I do with that? Or does it not matter? Also, where would the Boot Loader be installed by default?

And in the article, what would my_vol_grp amd my_logical_vol be? (Sorry, rather new to this)

Thanks!

4. Nodsu

Nodsu TS Rookie Posts: 9,431

If you bothered to read the resize2fs manual, you'd see that it resizes both ext2 and ext3 filesystems.

Sorry, I son't use RedHat and friends much and even if I do, I use the traditional partitioning instead of LVM. Maybe someone else can tell you how the LVM volumes are named by default..

5. Bluemouse

Bluemouse TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 405

I would have read the resize2fs manual if I knew there WAS a manual....

Anyone know the names?

Thanks!

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.