Resize partitions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I have a hard rdive partitioned as C (NTFS inc Corrupt copy of Windows XP and Boot.ini), D (ext NTFS inc working XP and all program files and data), and E (ext FAT32). The reference to corrupt windows has been removed from Boot.ini. Partition D is now full and I want to use the empty space on C by resizing rather than merging and risking making the system unstable, but neither Acronis or Paragon Disk Manager will move the free space as C is in use. Is it merely a case of moving the Boot.ini to D, if so what is the best way to do that, and will that then allow the spare disk space to be moved over??

Partition magic is by far the best bit of software i have come across for doing what you want.

My preference would be Acronis Disk Director, but much like Partition Magic, it is not free.

I know there used to be a free utility called Ranish. It's not very intuitive and might require a little bit of knowledge about partitions etc... But it was freeware and did the same thing as Partition Magic. I imagine there's better ones or perhaps a newer Ranish out there somewhere....

Thanks,

Acronis Disk Director Suite 10 is what I tried to use but it couldn't free up the space on the C partition because it was in use.....or words to that effect, which is why I wondered if the Boot.ini file residing on that partition and not on D was the problem. I notice Partition Magic has a Boot Manager but don't know if that would solve this problem.

*** WARNING ***
These instructions can destroy data or leave you unable to boot if not followed carefully - read full post 1st
*** WARNING ***

Since you're using XP, make use of the Disk Management snap-in. This is found by right-clicking My Computer, choosing Manage, and clicking on Disk Management. The colors of your drives (read partitions) will tell you if this can be done. Dark Blue = Primary Partition; Bright Blue = Logical drive in an extended partition; Green Border = Extended partition.
The graphic representation of the physical drive goes left to right, low to high.

Use this to tell you if what you want to do can be done without destroying data. Since your description of what you want to do is to extend your D drive/partition to take part or all of C, this will not be possible without a more involved process.
You cannot extend a system or boot partition/drive - these will show as (System) or (Boot). You can extend a drive or partition into free space to its immediate right - into contiguous higher blocks of the same partition type. You cannot extend a drive/partition into space to its left - into contiguous lower blocks.

You can create free space from an existing partition by formatting a drive/partition and then right-click on it, choose Change drive letter or paths, and click Remove. Keep in mind DMMMC can only deal with whole partitions or logical drives, it cannot change partition size by arbitrary amounts.

If you need to expand your D partition into lower blocks, you cant get there from here. The easiest answer would be to back up your data and installation programs, repartition your drive & reinstall windows.

If you simply need more space, consider formatting C and offloading some data to it - would still be my recommendation to backup & reinstall.

Hi yosefM and thanks,

That makes sense now and although I haven't yet tried to identify which is primary, logical or extended by this method I suspect I know the answer and can understand why the programs can't do it. Given I'm only going to gain about 17Gig it seems a hell of a lot of effort...and I agree the best option for the cost and to seriously increase capacity is to install a bigger drive and reinstall XP etc.

Thanks for all the input guys.

walderwambat said:
Thanks,

Acronis Disk Director Suite 10 is what I tried to use but it couldn't free up the space on the C partition because it was in use.....or words to that effect, which is why I wondered if the Boot.ini file residing on that partition and not on D was the problem. I notice Partition Magic has a Boot Manager but don't know if that would solve this problem.

Disk Director has an option to build bootable media which works outside of Windows. You can burn a CD to make a flash drive bootable and then do the dirty work.

You'll definitely want to make a back too. While I've never had an issue with Disk Director, there's always that chance...

Aside from that, YosefM speaks much truth.

walderwambat said:
the best option for the cost and to seriously increase capacity is to install a bigger drive and reinstall XP etc.

That's an excellent option. Put the new one in as primary, and when you're done your old drive is still intact.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back