Resizing NTFS partition

Status
Not open for further replies.

cigarman

Can anyone recommend a good freeware to resize an NTFS partition. Being something of a freeware junkie, I'd rather not have to pay for Acronis for something I'll only be doing once in a while. I've read about something called "NTFSResize"--a linux program, as well as "GParted." I tried GParted, burned the ISO image correctly, but couldn't get it to load. Haven't been able to download NTFSResize yet. Something appears to be wrong with their server at the moment.

Any recommendations...?

gParted would be the best suggestion. You could try a live Linux boot CD perhaps... Maybe Knoppix? gParted really should work... are you sure there isn't a problem with something else? Try using a different program that's specifically designed for ISOs.. such as Active@ ISO Burner (freeware)

Also, Ranish is an 'old favorite' of mine. Its not very graphical, but it might get the job done. ;)

same error message

Even after burning the ISO with Active@ISOBurner, I get the same error message as before. I'm prompted to type "startx" for a graphical interface, but sending that command through, the screen changes to this error message:

(EE) Failed to load module "dbe" (module does not exist,0)
(EE) Failed to load module "extmod" (module does not exist,0)
(EE) Failed to load module "glx" (module does not exist,0)
(EE) Failed to load module " record" (modules does not exist,0)
(EE) Failed to load module "via" (module does not exist,0)

Fatal server error: no screens found

XIO: fatal IO error 104 (connection reset by peer) on server ":0.0"

Maybe I need to reload the chipset and vga driver? I don't want to waste your time on this, but if you have any quick thoughts on it...

I agree with the post above, by the way. You should try downloading the ISO again because it sounds like it is corrupted for whatever reason. If you right click on the ISO and look at its properties, is the file size about 30MB? That's what it should be. Either way, delete it clear your Internet browser's cache and re-download.

Success with new version

Well, after trying several different things, I finally got the newest version of the G-Parted Live CD to work. Must have been something with the previous versions that didn't jive on my unit. Anyway, thanks for everyone's input. By the way, G-Parted is now over 50 mb in size as opposed to 30 mb. The G-Parted Live CD works well for me to shrink and expand both my main and backup drives. The only reason I wanted to be able to do this is to decrease the time needed in backing up my main drive. I will be using it to shrink and expand a couple of other drives that I will be archiving music (in wave format) and movies files to.

This G-Parted thing does other things like changing files systems, etc, but I haven't needed to use those other functions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back