Resolution Problem with ATI Rage 128 Pro - Anyone help PLEASE?

By Varney
Oct 22, 2004
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I wonder if anyone can help me to resolve this problem I am having with my display - I cannot change the resolution settings, because the slider simply shows a limit of 1024x768 in the 'display properties'.

Firstly, I'm using the ATI Rage Pro 128 Ultra GL AGP in this system, which is AMD Athlon, running WinXP Pro. I always had ATI Rage II in my old pentium machine, which offered resolutions up to (I can't remember - but much higher than 1024).

Recently, I've hooked up a newer and better monitor than my old Delta. I now have the LG Studioworks 560N, which is a better sized screen.

Since hooking up this monitor, the display props automatically show that it is installed and that it is not necessary to install another driver for it.

Since doing this, the ATI adapter will not show more than 1024x768 on the slider. I listed all modes and still cannot find a higher display setting.

I have tried re-installing, uninstalling, then re-installing the drivers from the official ATI site. Even though I know I have downloaded the correct driver, when the driver installation begins, it terminates, with the message:
    "This driver is not compatible with your hardware" !!!!

I have also taken the (reccomended) measure of upgrading 'DirectX' to a 9 (the reccomended minimum is version 8.1+).

The only time the adaptor briefly seems to be working correctly is when I uninstall the driver. When Windows automatically restarts, I get a massive sized window display (unusable) which can then be changed to the settings I know I should have - ie: the display resolution choice is restored and everything seems to work fine....BUT....

Apply these changes, then Ok them and re-open the display dialogue and the choice has gone again. The slider shows a limit of the resolution previously chosen. Next up - restart and the problem is back - the display has reset itself and I can find no way to change it.

Can some kind person PLEASE tell me what is wrong here, 'cos I feel like I am at a dead end. I do not know which way to turn, and so have come here in the hope that someone can help me.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

V
  2. Justin

Justin Newcomer, in training Posts: 1,595

This is a common problem with the Rage 128 Pros. Get the drivers for the standard RAGE Series rather then the PROs and try to install those instead.
  3. Varney

Varney Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

Thankyou so much, Soul Harvester. I will try this and let you know how I get on.

Cheers,

V
  4. Varney

The ATI "RAGE" is so apropriately named. Since posting I have found sites bristling with complaints with these products....

How on earth to they stay in business?

V
  5. Varney

Now I'm in trouble.

The only driver ATI has on their site for the whole family of RAGE adapters is the one I've downloaded and will not work.

It seems there is one driver for all. I really do not know what to do now.

Please someone help!?

Thanks,

V
  6. Justin

Justin Newcomer, in training Posts: 1,595

I can try to locate an older driver. We had a client machine here just last week with this same problem.
  7. simplysimon

simplysimon Newcomer, in training

new card

if i was you i would by a new card as the one you have is well out of date,,,
  8. Mictlantecuhtli

Mictlantecuhtli TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 4,916   +9

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.