(Resolved) Alienware GTX 780M GPU in other machines?

GhostRyder

Ok, what im doing is upgrading my MSI GT 70 laptop GPU with a GTX 780m. I have been wanting this for awhile and I have found some in recent times with good pricing on ebay.

Now my question is because I have had trouble finding information on the subject, will a card from an Alienware work like a standard Mobile GPU? Meaning can I just stick it in any compatible MXM 3.0 Port and it will work.

For the record, I am coming off of a GTX 675m.

The problem I have heard in the past is that Alienware/Dell use custom Bios which lock down certain features. I am curious here if I buy a GTX 780m from an alienware if it will work fine in my MSI (MSI is pretty easy to do from what ive seen).

Anyone have any information towards this endeavor I would really appreciate it. I have been searching the web but I have not found much on the subject (I can find plenty about upgrading GPU's, but nothing specifically pertaining to putting Alienware/Dell GPU's in other brand machines).

Last edited:
Issue was resolved, this is apparently doable since the Alienware cards are not locked according to other users.

Sorry Ghost, I didn't know what to say. You are just as knowledgeable as most on the forums. Sad to say but many of our questions may never be answered. Especially if we can't find it already posted somewhere on the Internet.

Sorry Ghost, I didn't know what to say. You are just as knowledgeable as most on the forums. Sad to say but many of our questions may never be answered. Especially if we can't find it already posted somewhere on the Internet.
Yea no worries, I was asking across 3 forums since I could not find a direct answer. Laptops are such a finicky beast that I was curious if there would be problems using Dell OEM cards in other machines. According to a overclock user he said he has done it many times and they have had no issues so its doable.

The sad part was though I decided to use an MSI GTX 780m in the end anyway due to the fact the card Iwas looking at on ebay turned out to be a GTX 770m that was mislabeled.

Back