Restart nightmare

Status
Not open for further replies.

itnewbee

I was reading the Random restart post and I am having the same problem. At this point I took the first suggestion and unchecked the auto restart. I am running XP. There is no rhyme or reason to this happening. I checked the device manager and everything looks fine. I took a look at the performance and that all looks good. I have sp2. I tried to download sp3 and it would not take. I’m guessing this may be a driver problem. But the machine will not let me install any different drivers. I could be wrong about the driver. When it rains it pours, I also can not save any thing to word .When I go to start programs I can not longer see office in the panel. Are the two connected in some way? Any one who can offer a little sanity? Thanks

" I tried to download sp3 and it would not take." To the best of my knowledge, this is still RC and not final release. Don't try to get an update like this to fix an existing problem.

Check your computer clock for time when you get the next random reboot. Then:

Follow this path:
Control Panel> Administrative Tools> Event Viewer> Click on System & Apps, one at a time on the left> look for Errors on the right> right click error> Properties> note description of error, Event# and Source.

There is a "copy" button below the up/down arrows. Click that, then go to any place that allows you to type (ie. notepad, wordpad, this board) and you can paste (use CTRL-V) the entire event details there. It makes for easy reporting of the event.

If you want to paste the Event here, you do not need to include the lines of code that follow the Description- but paste all else. You will be looking for Error that occurs at the time of the problem. Please ignore Warnings.

" I tried to download sp3 and it would not take." To the best of my knowledge, this is still RC and not final release. Don't try to get an update like this to fix an existing problem.

Check your computer clock for time when you get the next random reboot. Then:

Follow this path:
Control Panel> Administrative Tools> Event Viewer> Click on System & Apps, one at a time on the left> look for Errors on the right> right click error> Properties> note description of error, Event# and Source.

There is a "copy" button below the up/down arrows. Click that, then go to any place that allows you to type (ie. notepad, wordpad, this board) and you can paste (use CTRL-V) the entire event details there. It makes for easy reporting of the event.

If you want to paste the Event here, you do not need to include the lines of code that follow the Description- but paste all else. You will be looking for Error that occurs at the time of the problem. Please ignore Warnings.

Thanks I’m going to give that a try. Also I was referring office 2003 spk3. Sorry I did not specify. Still would not take.

Thanks for clarifying that. Hopefully we can turn up something in the event Viewer.

I should have asked if you've scanned with the AV program and 2 or more spyware/adware programs lately- updating each right before the scan.

Let me know about the Errors.

Yes I have AVG and it has given a thumbs up. I checked all my stsyem tools and device manager options. I got two error one showing MS.netframwork 1.1 configuration and MS.netframwork 1.1 configuration wizard, Another and I'm not sure I think this one poped up on the screen Failed to delay load library mscorlib.dll win32-error:32. I'm looking into the later now

Well went home to try your suggestion and my PC was DOA. Kaputski! It may be the power supply. I now have to figure this out. I checked all my hardware connections. Good. Unplugged it and the reverse. Nothing. I'll post when I find out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back