TechSpot

restart, shut down issues

By sk|n
Mar 26, 2005
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. upon attempting to restart or shut down my computer via the start menu, the computer will ignore the command or i will get an asterick sound signifying that the command is some type of error. when i attempt to use system recovery, the computer will once again ignore the command. any ideas?

win xp pro
    sp2
  2. nellakita

nellakita TS Rookie Posts: 54

3. sk|n

sk|n TS Rookie Topic Starter

thanks for your help, i ran across that page too in my find.

but it turned out that it was a parse message error that created a unstable fault with xp.

i was running a boot screen, so my LOGONUI.EXE created the trouble. it was pretty hard actually, cuz i couldn't do a system restore nor could i set the stock xp logon. so i found out that i had to uninstall stylexp and clear all of any registry apps that contained stylexp. and my "waittokilltimeapp" timer was set to 20,000. had to reset it to 20.

so after a hard boot i was good to go. no more parse messages, and now i'm back to normal.

i just tried to install Zone Alarm and it snowballed into tons of problems cuz it doesn't like symantec for some reason. oh well, trial and error i guess.

if anybody has problems like this, google "parse message rcint failure"

and you'll be good to go as well. ;)
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.