Restart to repair Drive Errors

Gary40

OK as thread name suggests really lol, I will try to start from the beginning and give all the info and things I have done, fingers crossed you can shed some light on this issue.
I run on a self build pc
gigabyte gaming 7 mother board
intel i7 devils canyon pros
16gig Kingston ram
nvidia gtx 760 graphics
Kingston hyperx 250gb ssd card (problem drive maybe??)
2x 1 tb hard drives for games ect
water cooled
Windows 10

about 4 weeks ago my baby boy found my surge board in my cupboard and flicked the power switch on and off about 4 times made the rig shut down and not want to turn on again, removed power cable waited 5 mins re attached and started. thought all was good and was a close call (child lock now on PC desk cupboard lol).
about 2 hours later PC restarted on its own, does this at-least 2 times a day error message started showing about this time but every time I restart pc for it it starts the check and repair but never finishes just skips to login screen. so done the normal ran a virus check and nothing showed, ran sfc / scannow it showed all was fine no problems detected also ran chkdsk that was fine too then thought hmm sounds like my ssd drive is on its way out so downloaded kingston tool and done a drive diagnostic that came back that drive is fine......at this point I m freaking lost why the dame message will not go, my only thought is that for some reason the PC on restart is failing to do the disk check and repair there for keeps showing the message. I have also run repair tool with windows 10 usb and it fails to do it says there was a problem and to try another option...

any help or advice greatly received ty

Do you have a recovery disk? OS on media?

Turn off 'automatic restart on error' in CMOS?

What are the error descriptions / error codes?

Likewise, if any listed in Event Viewer?

Have you run chkdsk to see if file system has errors? Result?

(My boy did similar many years ago. Got his BS in IT and now manages IT at a mid-sized manufacturer.)

I have a recovery usb and as stated when I try to do a repair with it it starts and then stops and says could not complete try another option:confused: I have no idea how to turn off restart on error in cmos dn were event views is and no idea what error code is it just says restart to repair drive errors. and as stated I did do a chkdsk and said it was fine also run a kingston diagnostic and ssd is fine :(

re reading this its sounds stroppy lol sorry was not meant to sound like that just trying to give as much info as poss, will try to screen shot it and post

Seems as though a few files on your SSD are slightly scrambled. If we can determine which files, maybe we can remove them and replace with good ones.

'restart on error' is in BIOS (aka CMOS)- but varies by maker so you have to use the manual to find it

event viewer is part of Administrative Tools - you can reach it by typing 'event' in search windows box

sfc 'ok' makes us confident about key OS files
chkdsk 'ok' means file system is probably 'ok'
kingston utility 'ok' gives some confidence in operation of SSD

leaving hundreds of non-system files in which one or two key ones might have a minor flaw which results in the 'meltdown'

making a backup is a pretty good idea at this time.

Lastly, it could be UEFI is preventing your recovery USB from running properly...I honestly do not know enough about this or about your specific system to advise. Possibly the motherboard maker or the forum for your motherboard would give insight. ... see https://askleo.com/why-uefi/

Log Name: System
Source: Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power
Date: 19/10/2016 21:58:46
Event ID: 41
Task Category: (63)
Level: Critical
Keywords: (70368744177664),(2)
User: SYSTEM
Computer: Garys
Description:
The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
<System>
<Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power" Guid="{331C3B3A-2005-44C2-AC5E-77220C37D6B4}" />
<EventID>41</EventID>
<Version>4</Version>
<Level>1</Level>
<Task>63</Task>
<Opcode>0</Opcode>
<Keywords>0x8000400000000002</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2016-10-19T20:58:46.495890100Z" />
<EventRecordID>438798</EventRecordID>
<Correlation />
<Execution ProcessID="4" ThreadID="8" />
<Channel>System</Channel>
<Computer>Garys</Computer>
<Security UserID="S-1-5-18" />
</System>
<EventData>
<Data Name="BugcheckCode">0</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckParameter1">0x0</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckParameter2">0x0</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckParameter3">0x0</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckParameter4">0x0</Data>
<Data Name="SleepInProgress">0</Data>
<Data Name="PowerButtonTimestamp">0</Data>
<Data Name="BootAppStatus">0</Data>
<Data Name="Checkpoint">0</Data>
<Data Name="ConnectedStandbyInProgress">false</Data>
<Data Name="SystemSleepTransitionsToOn">0</Data>
<Data Name="CsEntryScenarioInstanceId">0</Data>
</EventData>
</Event>

Log Name: System
Source: Microsoft-Windows-Ntfs
Date: 20/10/2016 16:40:40
Event ID: 98
Task Category: None
Level: Error
Keywords: (2)
Description:
Volume C: (\Device\HarddiskVolume1) needs to be taken offline to perform a Full Chkdsk. Please run "CHKDSK /F" locally via the command line, or run "REPAIR-VOLUME <drive:>" locally or remotely via PowerShell.
Event Xml:
<System>
<Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Ntfs" Guid="{3FF37A1C-A68D-4D6E-8C9B-F79E8B16C482}" />
<EventID>98</EventID>
<Version>0</Version>
<Level>2</Level>
<Task>0</Task>
<Opcode>0</Opcode>
<Keywords>0x8000000000000002</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2016-10-20T15:40:40.241451000Z" />
<EventRecordID>439414</EventRecordID>
<Correlation />
<Execution ProcessID="4" ThreadID="264" />
<Channel>System</Channel>
</System>
<EventData>
<Data Name="DriveName">C:</Data>
<Data Name="DeviceName">\Device\HarddiskVolume1</Data>
<Data Name="CorruptionActionState">3</Data>
</EventData>
</Event>

Log Name: Microsoft-Windows-DeviceSetupManager/Admin
Source: Microsoft-Windows-DeviceSetupManager
Date: 20/10/2016 16:41:15
Event ID: 200
Task Category: None
Level: Warning
Keywords:
Description:
A connection to the Windows Update service could not be established.
Event Xml:
<System>
<Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-DeviceSetupManager" Guid="{FCBB06BB-6A2A-46E3-ABAA-246CB4E508B2}" />
<EventID>200</EventID>
<Version>0</Version>
<Level>3</Level>
<Task>0</Task>
<Opcode>0</Opcode>
<Keywords>0x4000000000000000</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2016-10-20T15:41:15.124163700Z" />
<EventRecordID>1125</EventRecordID>
<Correlation />
<Execution ProcessID="600" ThreadID="1732" />
<Channel>Microsoft-Windows-DeviceSetupManager/Admin</Channel>
</System>
<EventData>
</EventData>
</Event>

Ty for replying cycloid. event info was great help it seems 2 be 2 things warnings of unabled to connect to windows update and crit errors on c drive I have done the run REPAIR-VOLUME c: says unable to find.....and cmd will not let me "CHKDSK /F" becouse drive is in use, asks me if I wish it to be scedualed for next restart I typed y and then restarted pc and it seems to fail to repair on startup, like its being stopped from doing so.

Meh my bad forgot to run power shell in admin mode worked that time and with no volume errors found.....

Let's do a wait & see for a bit. Check Event Viewer for further errors (you can disregard Event ID 41 - it just says it restarted after an error).

Back