Restarts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

G-Dog

My box has started restarting at random. I built this PC almost a year and a half ago, and it has been nothing but stable until now. I just re-installed XP, and all my drivers are running the latest versions.

Athlon XP 3000 939
Asus a8n sli deluxe
Nvidia 6600GT
x2 512 OCZ 3200
Maxtor HD's
Lite-On DVDR
Antec 400W PS

As I said, this machine has been nothing but good to me for the past 15 months, and it just started this crap about a week ago. After googling my **** off, I found this site. I searched for *.dmp, but only found one file relating to tonights reboot (attached). I read the 'before posting' guide, and my PS is running fine under load. Also, in my events, I found...

Error code 100000ea, parameter1 85502020, parameter2 8625f4b8, parameter3 f78b6cb4, parameter4 00000001.

Go easy on me. I'm a designer and gamer that knows just enough about PC's to build them. I've never been very technical, more a monkey see, monkey do type geek.

That particular dump seems to point to watchdog.sys.

BugCheck 100000EA, {85502020, 8625f4b8, f78b6cb4, 1}
Type referenced: win32k!DEFERRED_WATCHDOG
Probably caused by : watchdog.sys ( watchdog+a67 )

Since this is part of Windows, the first thing you want to do is probably make sure you are up to date. Install all the latest service packs and critical and even recommended updates from MS Updates.
If you are up to date, next try running the System File Checker. To do that, click Start->Run and type sfc /scannow and hit enter.
When that is done, restart the PC. It may ask you for your XP CD, so keep it handy.

Do those things, and see if it crashes again. If so, post your fresh minidumps.
You can also do some more googling on the watchdog.sys file, and your bugcheck of "0x100000EA".

Good luck!

It crashed again within minutes or your post. This time it left no DMP file. I even went so far as to set windows to stop on all errors, so I could copy down the blue screen code, but it restarted just the same. The behavior of the crash is as follows.

I'm always at my desktop when it crashes. The computer will freeze for about 10-20 seconds, then my mouse will unfreeze for about 5 seconds. Then my computer freezes for another 10-20 seconds, then unfreeze. It will do this about three times, then restart. This has happened about 8 times in the past week, and only once was I left with a DMP file.

As I said before, my PS voltage is running fine. Also, my temps are all between 31C and 42C including CPU, GPU, chipset, and case. I don't have anything overclocked

I googled the watchdog and ea error as you suggested. It seems like it could be either a RAM or GPU issue. As such, I ran the Microsoft 'boot from a cd' RAM checker and let it run all night. My PC didn't crash and It came back with no errors, but I don't trust any diagnostic tool of MS's. Anything else I can try? I'm at a loss here.

G-Dog said:
It crashed again within minutes or your post. This time it left no DMP file. I even went so far as to set windows to stop on all errors, so I could copy down the blue screen code, but it restarted just the same. The behavior of the crash is as follows.

I'm always at my desktop when it crashes. The computer will freeze for about 10-20 seconds, then my mouse will unfreeze for about 5 seconds. Then my computer freezes for another 10-20 seconds, then unfreeze. It will do this about three times, then restart. This has happened about 8 times in the past week, and only once was I left with a DMP file.

As I said before, my PS voltage is running fine. Also, my temps are all between 31C and 42C including CPU, GPU, chipset, and case. I don't have anything overclocked

I googled the watchdog and ea error as you suggested. It seems like it could be either a RAM or GPU issue. As such, I ran the Microsoft 'boot from a cd' RAM checker and let it run all night. My PC didn't crash and It came back with no errors, but I don't trust any diagnostic tool of MS's. Anything else I can try? I'm at a loss here.
Try running memtest (google for it, I have no idea where it's located). It'll tell you if your ram has any "issues".

agi_shi said:
Try running memtest (google for it, I have no idea where it's located). It'll tell you if your ram has any "issues".

Nope, RAM came out clean. I'm going to run some 3D benchmarks to stress my videocard, see if that does anything.

Just to clarify, you ran memtest86 right? From www.memtest86.com?

Since you have more up to date hardware and 64 bit, you might also try memtest86+ from www.memtest.org.

If both of those pass your RAM, we'll rule that out for now.

Also to clarify, if you want to "see" the BSOD, check this:
Right-click My Computer -> Properties -> Advanced -> startup and recovery Settings button -> uncheck "Automatically Restart".
If that is unchecked, then, as far as I know, Windows will NOT still auto restart on you.
In fact, since it is restarting and NOT giving a minidump, I don't think it really is throwing a BSOD in the first place. I think you probably have hardware problems and not software problems.

When Windows comes up after a restart, does it say that it "recovered from a serious error" and wants you to send an error report? I bet it doesn't.

You are on the right track to test your video. You might also want to test your hard drive. Find out who your hard drive's manufacturer is and go to their web site to the downloads section and get their testing utility.

Vigilante said:
Just to clarify, you ran memtest86 right? From www.memtest86.com?

Since you have more up to date hardware and 64 bit, you might also try memtest86+ from www.memtest.org.

If both of those pass your RAM, we'll rule that out for now.

Also to clarify, if you want to "see" the BSOD, check this:
Right-click My Computer -> Properties -> Advanced -> startup and recovery Settings button -> uncheck "Automatically Restart".
If that is unchecked, then, as far as I know, Windows will NOT still auto restart on you.
In fact, since it is restarting and NOT giving a minidump, I don't think it really is throwing a BSOD in the first place. I think you probably have hardware problems and not software problems.

When Windows comes up after a restart, does it say that it "recovered from a serious error" and wants you to send an error report? I bet it doesn't.

You are on the right track to test your video. You might also want to test your hard drive. Find out who your hard drive's manufacturer is and go to their web site to the downloads section and get their testing utility.

Ran both Memtest, and Memtest86, RAM came back clean. Ran 3dMark for about an hour, no problems. Checked drive for errors, nothing. Hung up twice last night while surfing the web, and neither time did it actually restart, so no dump file. What's left? The motherboard? I'll flash the BIOS tonight, but I don't think this will help. The PC ran fine for over a year.

Any other ideas? I'm at a loss here.

I might have found something.

After looking at my events, I saw this repeating error.

The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Harddisk0\D.

This error was consistant with every time I rebooted this machine. So tonight, I took everything out, blew all the dust out (it was caked everywhere), and replaced the IDE cables.

Now, I no longer recieve that error when I boot. I haven't had a restart or hang up yet tonight, so I hope this might have solved the problem.

I just froze up again. I'm all out of idea's. I ran every test suggested to me, and all my hardware and software comes out error free.

Anybody, throw me a bone here.

dr.evil_one_miliion_dollars.jpg

"Froze up again" is kinda vague actually.

What happens?
Does it crash like with some kind of error? Does it restart itself or turn all the way off? Does nothing at all happen and just the mouse cursor stops?

Did you clear the error logs and check if there was any new errors after the freeze? Look at the logs (for ALL entries) and see if there is a repeating error that happens a lot.

One thing you might try is to go in Safe Mode. Do that by restarting the PC, and then BEFORE you ever see the XP logo, start pressing F8 on the keyboard. Just keep pressing it over and over until you get a menu, choose Safe Mode with Networking.

The point of using Safe Mode is that most of your drivers and startups are NOT going to run, it's a pretty clean boot. And if you choose Safe with Networking, then you can still go online and do Internet things.

If it's possible, see if you can work in Safe Mode, and see if it still freezes even there. If there is no freezing in Safe Mode, then perhaps you have a software problem after all. But if it still freezes in Safe, you may still have a hardware problem.

Your RAM may have passed physical tests, but that doesn't mean it can't be a problem. Have you checked the BIOS and made sure the RAM timings are correct for your RAM? If so, you might even slow them down a tick.
Maybe you could just reset the BIOS alltogether, and set the default options again.

Also do a scan on your hard drive from Windows. Either normal mode or safe mode, just go in My Computer and right-click your C: drive and choose Properties. Then go to the Tools tab, and click Error Checking. Then set BOTH check marks and click OK, and then OK again and restart it.

And as a long shot, you could try UNinstalling any programs or drivers you might have installed just before this problem began.

When it locks up, its a total freeze, like I'm looking at a screen shot of my desktop. The mouse locks up, the HD light shows 0 activity. There are no error logs associated with the lockups now either.

My RAM timings are correct for 3200 DDR.

I've done scan discs on both of my hard drives in windows and with Maxtors dos, low level utility.

The only thing I've seen that can cause my system to lock up consistanly is having Azureus open while running WinUAE (an amiga emulator). I just noticed today that I can bet on a crash when both of them are running, whatever that means.

I'll try resetting my BIOS and taking out a stick of RAM.

I just joined this forum because I have a similar problem. two weeks ago my Dell Dimension, XP Home Edition, PC froze at startup. I've been using this PC for 3+ years without incident. Dell worked on it for 4 days with me on the phone and could not fix the problem. I then went to Best Buy and purchased a new tower unit and a new laptop for my wife. After the tower unit was working fine for 3 or 4 days it also froze on startup. It looks like it is booting up but then flashes a screen for about 1 second and then it freezes with a black screen. Best Buy's Geek Squad Techs. have been working on this problem and have spent 4 hours at my home. The last time they got the system up and running and it looked good. I did my email on the system and shut it down normally. the next morning (yesterday) I got up and pushed the power button and the system froze in the same manner. I considering returning the system to Best Buy but would rather have it fixed. BB is being great about responding. A tech is supposed to come out again today. Any ideas ????
rich

Too me, it sounds like dirty power. Run a line directly from your breaker next to your PC, and pick up quality UPS that has a higher wattage than your power supply.

I'm very surprised about the service you're getting from BB. Everybody that's dealt with them in the past that I know had major issues with their service. Not honoring warranties, things like that. If they continue to work for free, take them up on the offer.

XP startup problem resolved ??

Thanks for your input. However, I already have a dedicated circuit next to my PC and I recently purchased a new UPS system.
Best Buy came to my home this afternoon and got the system running. They said the Seagate "One Click" Backup, external drive I purchased probably causes a software problem with XP. He removed the Seagate software, called BounceBack Express, and the system now comes up correctly. Now we'll see if it stays up. The BB tech. showed me that he could copy and paste folders to the Seagate disk but when he installed BounceBack Express the system failed to boot properly. He suggested I return the Seagate drive for credit and buy another brand, although he did say Seagate normally makes a good product.
My experience with Best Buy, to date, has been nothing but professional, on-time and solution oriented. They accepted ownership of my problem and worked hard to get it fixed. In addition they gave me a discount on some recently purchased items and I didn't even ask for the discount.
I'll continue to shop and recommend BB as long as I get this type of service.
Rich Panelli
richpanelli@comcast.net

What about you G-Dog? Do you have "dirty power".
I can see how a small brown out might cause just enough of a lag to bring the system to a stand still.

Do you have any high powered devices on your circuit? Say when somebody runs a microwave, or vaccuum cleaner, or some other kind of motor or generator?

If not, it's another long shot, but you could have a bad port on the system. Possibly even your keyboard or mouse port.
I've seen multiple system with a bad PS/2 port, where, say, the keyboard will work, but as soon as you touch the mouse, system freezes. Or vice versa. As soon as a key is pressed on the keyboard, immediate lockup.

Since we're running out of ideas, you could try swapping kb/mouse entirely. Turn off the system, unplug them (if PS/2) and plug in USB kb/mouse instead.
If you already use USB for both, well, that is really strange. But we'll get to the bottom of it if you just hang in there!

System Freezing up resolved ??

Yesterday, the Best Buy Technicians removed my Seagate removeable harddrive and Uninstalled the BounceBack software. Now my system boots correctly. They said the BounceBack software was causing a problem with XP. The demonstrated a copy / paste of files to the drive successfully but the system would freeze when BounceBack was active with the drive on.
At the suggestion of the Tech. I returned the drive and software for a refund and I'm now looking at the Iomega Triple Interface hard drive as a possible alternative. Has anyone had experience with this drive ?
I wrote to Seagate about the BounceBack problem. They wrote back and asked what version of the software I was using but did not state whether or not any version caused a system to freeze.
Rich

Vigilante said:
What about you G-Dog? Do you have "dirty power".
I can see how a small brown out might cause just enough of a lag to bring the system to a stand still.

Do you have any high powered devices on your circuit? Say when somebody runs a microwave, or vaccuum cleaner, or some other kind of motor or generator?

If not, it's another long shot, but you could have a bad port on the system. Possibly even your keyboard or mouse port.
I've seen multiple system with a bad PS/2 port, where, say, the keyboard will work, but as soon as you touch the mouse, system freezes. Or vice versa. As soon as a key is pressed on the keyboard, immediate lockup.

Since we're running out of ideas, you could try swapping kb/mouse entirely. Turn off the system, unplug them (if PS/2) and plug in USB kb/mouse instead.
If you already use USB for both, well, that is really strange. But we'll get to the bottom of it if you just hang in there!

I have a direct line comming from my box, and my 400W UPS is the only thing plugged into it. My pc is the only thing plugged into that, so I'd like to think that power isn't an issue.

I might have solved the problem, but I've said that before. I took your advice and ran RAM and HD checks again. While the Maxtor low level HD check was running, it could no longer read my second drive and failed out. I assume that that my second drive was having intermittent problems causing my whole system to go down, so I removed it. My PC has been up for three days straight now, and not a single freeze.

The drive still reads and writes, So I might just keep it as an external extra backup drive. It's no big loss either, I yanked it out of another computer I fixed up a couple years ago.

Interresting.
You didn't say whether you had SATA or IDE hard drives. But I know from personal experience having a similar issue when I ran a SATA and IDE drive together. I got a new motherboard and run both together now with no probs, but on my other board that would cause crashes all the time.

I hope it's fixed! Put that one in the record books.

The driver detected a controller error

Ciao,
I had those "The driver detected a controller error" messages.
I couldn't run Defraggler that I like.
I removed the NCQ (Native Command Queuing) :
Computer management/device manager/IDE ATA/ ATAPI controllers/Nvidia NForce/properties/Primary channel and there uncheck "Enable command queuing", do the same on the secondary channel if you have a second disk attached
Claudaki

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back