Retail x1900 XT is defaulting at 500 core and 600 memory?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caxus

Isn't it supposed to be 625 core and 725 memory? I'm using the omega 6.2 driver and ATI tray tools if that has anything to do with it.

Those are the stock speeds for core/mem. As it's an XT, it'll throttle to it's higher clocks with ATI's Overdrive enabled.

Can't help ya' if you're using someone else's hacked drivers though. I'd strongly urge to stick with ATI's Catalyst drivers, personally.

Good luck.

Thats too bad if i can't get those speeds with the omega driver. It was a much better driver with my x800 xt than the official ones were.

Is there no way to have it go up while still using the omegas? Apparently overlclocking isn't supported on the x1900 with ati tray tools yet and ati tool didn't even recognize my card.

Omega's drivers ARE the ATI Catalyst drivers. Omega does not write drivers.

The Omega's are simply re-bundled ATI Catalyst drivers with different default settings (same that can be performed with 3rd party tools, ATI Tray Tools or CCC) and more fool-proof/broken-system friendly INF/installation procedure.

The best thing about Omega's drivers are people with inherently broken systems or convoluted registry have better results wedging them into their systems. The real answer to get flawless driver installation is to clean up your system, delete old/obsolete registry entries, and use tools like Driver Cleaner Pro.

You do NOT need .NET installed to run the Catalyst drivers- this is only needed if you wish to use the Catalyst Control Center (for adjusting settings). You can either download the older Control Panel from a prior Catalyst driver link, or just uncheck Catalyst Control Center and use a 3rd party tool such as ATI Tray Tools or RivaTuner. I still recommend CCC for users of X1800->X1900 cards as the CCC's Overdrive is currently the best, most stable method of getting the correct core/mem speeds in games.

This is a fresh windows xp install so i don't think i have any old registry settings and i always use DC when removing drivers.

Also, i got rid of the omega drivers and tried fresh 6.5's from ati.com. I loaded up ati tool tray so that i could monitor the core and mem speeds and they're staying at 500/594 in 3d mode. Do you have to do something special to activate overdrive in CCC because there doesn't seem to be an on or an off option?

Caxus said:
I loaded up ati tool tray so that i could monitor the core and mem speeds and they're staying at 500/594 in 3d mode.
Did you try the CCC/.NET with the Catalyst 6.5's? This would be the best way to determine IF your product has currently supported Overdrive support. In this way, you'll see an Overdrive tab in the CCC.

If there is no Overdrive tab, then you simply may have a version of the product that does not (yet) have proper Overdrive support. This is based on BIOS revision/information and ATI can sometimes be slow adding new cards to their list of Overdrive capable cards. This is particularly common of brand-new revision, Powered-By 3rd party cards. Is this a true-blue Built-By ATI or 3rd party? (Saphire, Powercolor, etc.).

It's a sapphire and i'm using 6.5 with ccc now. I have the overdrive tab and everything in there seems fine, it's just not doing anything while in 3d apps. Is overdrive automatic or do you have to turn it on somewhere?

The Overdrive tab needs to have Overdrive enabled, at which point it will throttle gpu/mem clocks in full-screen 3d applications *only*.. i.e. you wont be able to "see" the new clocks in any way, but you should surely be able to measure the increase in framerates.

As the Overdrive tab is displayed in CCC, this identifies the 6.5's recognize and will properly throttle your X1900.

Ok, in my overdrive tab's options there's a checkbox for "Enable ATI overdrive clocks for 3d applications only". The box looks like it's checked but its also greyed out so that i can't change it. Is that normal?

Look for the "Unlock" button to the upper right.
All that does is let you go above the default "requested" speeds. My problem is that i can't get it to even go to the requested speeds at all while in 3d apps.

Keep in mind I was only answering the question you posted just above my post.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back