Retrieving deleted files

Status
Not open for further replies.

fredericklee

Hi
I am running win xp, and I wish to know is there a way to retreive deleted files. What I mean is that the files that have been permently deleted from my recycle bin.

Thanks

There are programs you can get to recover data.. The best one I know of for XP is Ontrack Easy Recovery Professional which can be had for a reasonable price I suppose.. Unless you have other methods of getting ahold of it.

Be aware, if the files are old or you frequently use your computer / defragmented your hard disk, then your chances of recovering your data are very poor.

Windows Support Tools come with a program called Disk Probe, it lets you access raw sector data on your hard disk :)eek: , really innovative isn't it :p ). If you know what you're looking for, you'll be able to recover it.

If OnTrack can't find it, just do a search for similar programs on google...

I found one which could recover files overwritten twice... (Though it costs about 50$ :()
Unfortunately I don't remember the name...

Free data recovery software for deletion

It's an old but new topic, I should say some words with my experience of choosing freeware to recover deleted files, here I introduce two soft, anyon who want to performa deletion recovery can choose one to have a try:

Recuva: Recuva (pronounced "recover") is a freeware Windows utility to restore files that have been accidentally deleted from your computer. This includes files emptied from the Recycle bin as well as images and other files that have been deleted by user error from digital camera memory cards or MP3 players. It will even bring back files that have been deleted by bugs, crashes and viruses!

EASEUS Deleted File Recovery: is a fully functional freeware designed to recover deleted files from all types of media such as Hard Disk Drives, Floppy Drives, Smart Media, Compact Flash, Memory Sticks, and other types of removable media.

Restores files after mistakenly-deletion.
Retrieves almost all types of files.
Recovers from local PC and various portable devices.
Supports FAT 12, FAT 16, FAT 32 and NTFS file system.
Supports Windows 2000/2003/XP/VISTA.
Previews recoverable files.
Fast and easy-to-use with a Graphical User Interface.
Safest read only software

hello all,

this is the closest to my situation i could find after hours of searching so i hope you don't mind my starting the thread back up. please excuse any format issues and the length, as i am in training and am desperate. any criticism and help would be appreciated. thank you.

while dealing with a winbluesoft infection, i had disabled the xp system restore as advised on other sites. i then ran antivirus software in both safety and normal modes until clean

2 account logins were available in safety.
1. Administrator - default
2. Girfriend - has desktop access to normal programs and files, our standard login
no password was/is required to login to either account

while logged in safety mode as 1. Administrator, in the "documents and settings" folder,
4 user file folders appeared:

1. Administrator.girlfriend-laptop ( as things now stand this folder is almost empty, this also might have been named just Administrator)
2. All Users Windows
3. GIRLFRIEND(blahblahblah) - the one with all the personal files
4. GIRLFRIEND.girlfriend-laptop
(i could be wrong about the names, as i am now reading them as they currently exist in windows explorer). please read on...

I then renamed folder 3 GIRLFRIEND(blahblahblah) removing the (blahblahblah) and the caps, as this was aways messy looking, and it would never let me do it while logged in as Girlfriend.

this did not seem to affect anything. I may have even been able to restart and log back in safety to the administrator account. i',m not sure. is it possible i then logged into Girlfriend in safety mode and then committed the following?

i then deleted administrator.girlfriend-laptop (1, i think) from "documents and settings" using the mouse and delete button, presumably to the recycle bin. i'm pretty sure i did not empty the recycle bin

upon restarting in safety mode, it would freeze at loading the saved settings for the Administrator account
It will restart in the other account, Girlfriend, in both safety and normal modes. but few programs work properly. all personal files are still located on the drive, but you have to do loops to get to them.

the recycle bin is inaccessible even when i can log in, so i can't restore the deleted user file from there. and to top it off, the computer is ruddy slow now. Is there anyway to restore that deleted folder back into "documents and settings" so that I can get normal access to programs and files while logged in both accounts in safety mode, and Girlfriend in normal? That is to say fix my mistake...

Is this similar in anyway? Does this make sense to anyone? Thank you for your patience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back