Rewriting Linux bootloader

By Vehementi
Nov 27, 2003
  1. Hello all,

Here's my problem: Windows rewrote my MBR after installing a different version on a different partition, and now I can't access Linux. I didn't make a boot floppy :)D) and even booting from the (seperate) hard drive Linux is on gets a "Error loading operating system". Can I re-write LILO to the MBR through linux rescue?
  2. MattG

MattG TS Rookie Posts: 140

We will need to know what flavor your might be able to boot off the CD, mount the linux partition through that and just run linuxconf or liloconfig -- i know that is the case with slackware 9.
  3. Phantasm66

Phantasm66 TS Rookie Posts: 5,734   +7

boot from linux CD, type "linux rescue" at the prompt.

Let it automatically mount your / partition, which it will do under a mount point of /mnt/sysimage . the actual system you are seeing exists in RAM only, but its mounted your old system (which IS on HDD) as /mnt/sysimage.

Now, issue this command to make /mnt/sysimage the new /

chroot /mnt/sysimage

now, assuming you want the same LILO as before:

now get out

until machine reboots.
  4. Vehementi

Vehementi TechSpot Paladin Topic Starter Posts: 2,704

Ah thank you Phant! Everything is all fine and well now.
  5. Phantasm66

Phantasm66 TS Rookie Posts: 5,734   +7

heehhe cool!

Actually, I think you can combine the two commands into one:

chroot /mnt/sysimage /sbin/lilo

would do the trick as well, I think.

Take care,

6. Samael

Samael TS Rookie

major problem

i recently installed linux mandrake 9.1 onto an 8.5 gig partition of a 40GB HD, some how the boot loader got messed up so i went into rescue to have it re write it; the problem is though that it targeted the MBR on my Western Digital 200GB HD and now it looks like an 8.5GB HD and i cant access anything, none of the drives are listed on the 200GB HD, however it does show up in the windows device manager; is there any utilities or some way of restoring the factory MBR? bios shows the same thing. any kind of help is appreciated more than i can say.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.