TechSpot

RF monitoring software

By DLx/P
Sep 25, 2003
  1. Does anyone know of any software that monitors signal strength in warehouse distribution applications? It must be compatible with a 2.4 GIG frequency system and run either VT100 or VT220 emulation.

I am basically trying to prove to the powers that be, that 8 access points in a 1.3 million square foot warehouse are not enough.

I had a app at another one of our DC's that would monitor this. But it was on a 900 meg frequency system. Running a diferent emulation, so its not compatible now.

2. LNCPapa

LNCPapa TS Special Forces Posts: 4,210   +424

3. DLx/P

DLx/P TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 99

Sorry but not really. I am looking for something that will monitor signal strengths and give me an idea of where dead spots are. There are 65 forklifts running in a 1.3 million sq. ft. warehouse. And each of those have a Radio Frequency Terminal on them. Basically a little wireless computer. I want to see areas that are dropping connections or making the terminal freeze up.

I know there is a app out there that will do this. I just don't know the name of it. But thanks for looking.

4. Rick

Rick TechSpot Staff Posts: 4,573   +65

Netstumbler is able to measure signal quality and estimate distances, readings for different channels etc.. Sure this isn't what you want?

Here's a screen shot:

[​IMG]

5. DLx/P

I'm sorry LNC. I must had missed that when I first looked at that link. I do beleive that is what I am looking for. Little more advanced looking than the older program I once used on 900 mg systems.

Thanks again! :grinthumb

6. LNCPapa

LNCPapa TS Special Forces Posts: 4,210   +424

I thought it might be what you wanted. I use it at home, but I wasn't sure exactly how/what your setup looks like there. Hope it works out for you!

7. DLx/P

ok. I got another question for ya. I now need a wireless network card for a Compaq Armada M700 laptop here at work. Any suggestions on a card? I have looked around on-line at many different cards. But I don't have a clue on what to buy.

And is this laptop even capable of running a wireless card?

I need this set up so I can ride around on a golf cart with the laptop and check signals in the warehouse.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.