RIAA report bashes Google's anti-piracy efforts as ineffective

By Rick
Feb 21, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. A new report issued by the RIAA lambasts Google's piracy-curbing efforts, claiming the search giant's promise to demote unsavory file sharing sites several months ago has shown "no demonstrable impact" on the demotion or removal of links to well-known copyright...

Read more
  2. Just shut down the internet already.
    Maybe that would stop music and movie companies from whinning, oh wait then they would cry about low digital sales.
  3. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 10,407   +834

No problem with demoting all the "good" sites. From now on, I'll just start reading Google search results at page 10 or so!:cool:
    platinumsteel and hammer2085 like this.
  4. Win7Dev

Win7Dev TechSpot Booster Posts: 345   +34

I could care less if google stopped piracy or not.
  5. mrcavooter

mrcavooter TechSpot Member Posts: 65   +7

Stop trying to censor the web.
  6. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TechSpot Paladin Posts: 5,775   +1,429

RIAA must be morons, if they think one search engine can put a dent in anti-piracy efforts.
    richalone442 likes this.
  7. Ranger12

Ranger12 TechSpot Guru Posts: 630   +116

Well of course they bash googles efforts. If they admitted google was doing a good job of it, not that it's googles job, then the riaa would have even less of a reason to exist.
    platinumsteel and m4a4 like this.
  8. avoidz

avoidz TechSpot Maniac Posts: 454   +54

Nothing will satisfy those fools.
  9. So are those ridiculous copyright letters my ISP keeps forwarding to me.

Get one, discard it
    Get another one, discard it
    Get another one, discard it
    Final Notice to call ISP. Call ISP and talk to Lady, I blame it on unsecured wireless, she is nice and apologizes for the inconvenience.
    Two weeks later
    Get another one, discard it... and so on and so forth

It has been like this for two years and running.
  10. captainawesome

captainawesome TechSpot Booster Posts: 411   +42

It's become a knee-jerk reaction for me to sigh when I read or hear the term "RIAA".
    Such u a useless bunch of politicians.
    The irony of it all is that the actual artists would prolly be better off if RIAA didn't exist at all!
  11. ShadowDeath

ShadowDeath Newcomer, in training Posts: 51

I can't help but notice all this chatter about Copyright infringement, RIAA, MPAA, and "OMG I've been hacked but we have no idea how or where they hacked us" right as CISPA pops back into the media.

12. Google is providing the RIAA a list of all the offenders in the search results. The RIAA should just deal directly with those sites. The RIAA needs to do their own leg work when it come to enforcing copyright.
  13. richalone442

richalone442 Newcomer, in training Posts: 24   +8

I just love it when the RIAA cry s about pirating, you know no body cares what those a**holes think, and we sure aren't to worked up that a rich artist will not be able to afford the newest private jet he or she wants, or has to buy a measly 6 million dollar home instead of the 10 million dollar one he or she thinks they deserve. The RIAA has screwed around with the numbers for so long and so often that no one takes them seriously, We all know that pirating is good for sales because it introduces bands to people that would never have otherwise heard about them(their Music, Movies, books,etc.) The people at the RIAA are just too stupid to understand how things really work. If anything we should pity the artist that are represented by these ignorant fools, wait, I don't feel sorry for the artist either.
  14. Tygerstrike

Tygerstrike TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 827   +93

rich
    Im sorry but your rant makes less of a justification for theft then the usual 'I wanted it". Who cares how much money any other individual has? Who cares if piracy introduced new bands to ppl. Big whoop. What the RIAA and the artist it represents is concerned about is purely the lost revenue because of piracy. Its all about the money. ANYONE can find any reason to justify theft to themselves. None of those justifications would carry any weight in court. And guess what, thats where ppl will start ending up. In court.
  15. Ranger12

Ranger12 TechSpot Guru Posts: 630   +116

You're obviously not a very good pirate of you're regularly getting letters from your ISP.

Whatever makes you feel better when your sitting in a jail cell. I quit pirating long ago because I realized my life is worth far more than a few songs and a movie. Some things are worth giving everything for, free movies and music isn't one of them.
  16. IAMTHESTIG

IAMTHESTIG TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 388   +34

RIAA has the wrong approach... people pirate for two reasons, 1; its free and 2; its easy. We are now starting to get companies like Netflix and Amazon that are providing media at a reasonable or excellent cost, and making it easy. THAT is what will stop piracy. The RIAA needs to embrace technology and how excellent pricing can drive consumer demand. Look at how well Steam is doing with all their great sales. It's a proven method that works. The RIAA just looks like a bunch of greedy geriatrics that care more about money and **** blocking the ease of online content delivery.
  17. treetops

treetops TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 1,653   +51

I pirate movies I can get on netflix sometimes, simply because the quality is better.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.