Right after desktop comes up BSOD. Can anybody read my minidump?

Umpalumpa

I have this laptops with Vista Home and recently right after startup as soon as it hits the desktop I get a BSOD. It also happens in safe mode and sometimes it happens even before I get on the desktop.

I replaced RAM with a different stick to see if that was causing it but it does the same.

Here is my minidump, would somebody be so kind and tell me whats going on?

Thanx a lot

Attachments

• Mini092410-01.dmp
    135.6 KB · Views: 2
  • Mini092410-02.dmp
    135.6 KB · Views: 1
  • Mini092410-03.dmp
    135.6 KB · Views: 1
  • Mini092410-04.dmp
    131.6 KB · Views: 1
The driver that persistently was cited as not loading is symevent.sys which belongs to Symantec softwware. We've lost count of how many times this driver causes issues.

Try to do either...

1. Uninstall and reinstall Symantec and then update.

2. Update with existing installation.

Any changes?

Hi, thanx.
I went into c/windows/system32/drivers and found those drivers and deleted them.
Unfortunately didnt change the situation.

That's because that is not how you uninstall software. You needed to find Symantec via Start > Programs > Symantec and then use the uninstaller.

And because Symantec is notorious for leaving drivers behind (which may explain why you still have issues) you then need to go to their website, find the special Removal Tool that they have for your version and use it to make sure all drivers are gone.

The time allowed to stay actually on the desktop is too short to attempt any kind of proper uninstall. I have about 1 min of desktop and then it goes to BSOD after boot.

Is there a way to uninstall Norton booting from a different computer or attaching the HD to another computer?

Slave your harddrive to another computer and see if you can access it that way. It might pay you to run a harddrive diagnostic as well as Windows / r.

Solved

After deleting the corrupt drivers from the directory, I ran chkdsk /r/f like 7 times and eventually it fixed everything, then at restart I unistalled Norton Completely. Also there was a corrupt AVG installations which I uninstalled completely after googling "AVG unistall Tool" and downloading the app.
After this, everything seems to be running smooth.

Thanx a lot!

Ah, that it explains it! The rule of thimb is this: One antivirus, one firewall, and one antispyware security software OR one security suit installed only. More than one installed at any given time is a recipe for conflict and then system crashes.

Having both AVG and Norton installed caused this and even if you uninstall iif there are only a driver or two left over they still try to engage.

Back