Right Click lag on desktop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I'm new to the site but I have been lurking trying to find a fix to my problem

I am running Windows XP (no SP2) on a Sony PCG-V505 laptop Pentium M, 1.4GHz with 512DDR.

Whenever I right-click on an icon on my desktop it takes anywhere from 20seconds to almost 2 minutes for the menu to appear. This only happens with certain file types. Right clicking on My Documents, Recycle Bin, etc dont show this problem but right clicking anywhere else (MSword file, .pdf, .jpg, the desktop itself) causes the problem

I have defragged the computer several times using the xp defrag as well as perfectdisk. I tried registry mechanic and several other programs all to no avail. tweak ui and editing menushowdelay in regedit dont seem to help either.

I also cant find my cd to reformat the computer =(.

Thanks for any and all help!

This is Peddant`s right click menu freeze answer -

A faulty Explorer shell extension put in the right click menus appears to be the problem.Known culprits include Photoshop,Divvx and Spysweeper.

From - http://www.ghisler.ch/wiki/index.ph...C_causing_crash

1.Go to Regedit

2.Key HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers

In this key, all shell extensions are listed which work with all files. The * is a real star, it does not mean 'any key' here!

3. Choose "Registry" - "export registry", so you can revert your changes later. Choose to export only the selected branch.

4. Now delete one context menu handler after the other, and then try each time in (Windows Explorer) whether right click works again. This way you should find the defective extension.

5. When you have found it, you need to double click the .reg-file created above to restore all shell extensions, and then delete only the malfunctioning extension.

You may have to repeat this with the keys

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers

or

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers

If the error happens with directories or with virtual folders.

There`s a second suggestion in this thread HERE

Thank you for all your help!

it indeed was a problem with the

Key HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers

handle for "Open With"

the problem now is that i am unable to use the "open with" option whenever i right click (say to open .jpg with photoshop instead of with window viewer). is there anyway to get a fix for the registry key?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back