Ripping records?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Envergure

My dad has a great collection of records that he rarely plays. I happen to like his taste in music, so I want to copy it to my computer like a CD. I have no idea how, though. Records aren't even digital, come to think of it.
What's the best way to digitize the data on the records? Can it be done without a bunch of specialized equipment?

Ye, my dad has records that need converting onto the computer and he has to use a device called Ion Audio ITT which can be found at this LINK
Hope this helps even though it can be an expensive way of doing it.

Just run the line out on the record player to your line in on your sound card (may need some adapters) then use Audacity.

SNGX1275 said:
Just run the line out on the record player to your line in on your sound card (may need some adapters) then use Audacity.

That would be the way to do it - but you don't have to use Audacity - You could just use "sound recorder" that comes with windows. As for adapters if the record player in question has a 3.5mm out you just need a 3.5mm that has male connectors on both ends.

I just suggested Audacity because its free, and you can make them mp3s from there. Sound Recorder I believe only does wav.

I never thought of this but I have a bunch of old cassetts that I would love to do this with. Thanks guys for getting me thinking!

Depends on your sound card and turntable

Some better sound cards come with RCA jacks where you can just plug your existing turntable into using the standard RCA cables (the red & white ones). Then you'd need Audacity or something else to record and convert to whichever format you prefer. Media Monkey is a decent free audio listening tool with many conversion options (was, flac, MP3, etc.)

Or, you can buy a USB turntable for around $150 that is built just for this purpose and usually comes with its own software.

Or, you can get a pre-amp to connect your existing turntable to, then connect the pre-amp to your PC. I don't like this option personally as it required a pre-amp which can cost as much as the USB turntable for a good one.

I figured this out a while ago - sry for not posting back!

I just plugged the standard turntable into my "line in" and recorded it with Audacity, like SNGX1275 suggested. Then I split it into tracks and used a program I forget the name of to edit the metadata.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back