'Rise of the Tomb Raider' is coming to PlayStation 4 and PC after all

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Rise of the Tomb Raiser is coming to PlayStation 4 and PC after all. Microsoft Studios, Crystal Dynamics and Square Enix revealed the good news earlier today although gamers on those platforms will have to wait quite a while to play the game.

Tomb Raider fans were up in arms last year when it was revealed that Rise of the Tomb Raider would be an Xbox exclusive. May took the term “exclusive” literally, meaning the game would never show up on other platforms. Much was said about the decision which even spawned a change.org petition (that ultimately fell short of its 5,000 signature goal).

It’s entirely possible that the game was originally set to be an Xbox exclusive indefinitely and that the trio of studios may have changed their mind following the backlash. Or, perhaps the term “exclusive” was intended to be a launch exclusive. If that was the case, you'd think the studios wouldn't have waited nearly a year to reveal as much, but I digress.

Either way, the game will eventually arrive on other platforms which is great news for gamers (assuming of course that it’s a proper port).

Rise of the Tomb Raider will land on Xbox One and Xbox 360 on November 10 of this year. It’ll be a console exclusive for one year, meaning it won’t make its way to the PlayStation 4 until the fourth quarter of 2016. The game will be available for Windows 10 and Steam in early 2016.

Permalink to story.

IIRC, they mentioned this being timed earlier in the year. Though, considering the sales differential between Xbox exclusivity and a full multi platform offering, I'd be willing to wager Crystal Dynamics and Squeenix' analysts saw larger figures in the multiplat scenario than Microsoft was willing to pony up for exclusivity.

Pretty sure we are going to get the guy that think this is just wrong. Even with FF being in Sony's ecosystem for years without even batting a eye.
/Cry moar

Exclusive for a year. WTF are these publishers thinking? You want your game to be pirated? Cause that's how you get people to pirate your game.

I would have been willing to buy it if it was exclusive for 2-3 months but a year! Screw that. I don't support studios that tell me that they are only providing a game for one system for no apparent reason and the rest of the platforms can just sit and wait for a year.

Exclusive for a year. WTF are these publishers thinking? You want your game to be pirated? Cause that's how you get people to pirate your game.

I would have been willing to buy it if it was exclusive for 2-3 months but a year! Screw that. I don't support studios that tell me that they are only providing a game for one system for no apparent reason and the rest of the platforms can just sit and wait for a year.
Either piracy, or people just lose interest, while steam is letting off (pun intended). Probably one of the reasons I haven't enjoyed GTA5 on PC after paying 40 bucks for a two year old game. Probably my last box of this franchise. Definitely stalling a release that long must cause people to feel they are getting something wear out, second hand, not worth the full price.

Either piracy, or people just lose interest, while steam is letting off (pun intended). Probably one of the reasons I haven't enjoyed GTA5 on PC after paying 40 bucks for a two year old game. Probably my last box of this franchise. Definitely stalling a release that long must cause people to feel they are getting something wear out, second hand, not worth the full price.

And then you have to avoid spoilers for the game for a year as well. What fun.
I still enjoyed GTA5, but by the time I got to play it, I had seen so many screenshots, videos, etc unintentionally. I'm guessing that it will be the same thing for this game.

Meh, another franchise destroyed by greedy business decisions. Not putting the game on the PS4 when 3rd party games sell 2 to 1 on it and also delaying it by many months on PC just means that the new Tomb Raider will just not sell well at all.
Many will not even buy it just because after a few months, it's almost impossible to avoid big spoilers.
I'll wait for a steam sale and get it at 70-80% off. Not worth my time and money otherwise.

I really don't like these console exclusive deals. As an Xbox One owner, the ones that really bite are Destiny (same price for Xbox and PS4 players but maps, dungeons and weapon exclusives on PS4 not available on Xbox One until this September - thats a whole year from release and there are year 2 PS4 exclusives already in the pipeline), Street Fighter 5 and Final Fantasy 7. Tomb Raider doesn't make me feel any better. If it was a better game it wouldn't feel anyway better. In some way, for both consoles owners (unless you buy both), its annoying.

Xbox must be throwing a lot of money at the developer considering the PS4 has sold twice as many consoles as Xbox One. I mean seriously, the developer is giving up a lot of sales and money to almost 25 million potential PS4 buyers. Just a dumb move I think.

The last game was good, but kinda short, so I thought it made for a good rental or a $4.99 or less rainy day Steam buy. I'm looking forward to playing this one, but I think they should always release the PC version along with any console "exclusive". They are two different worlds.

Back