'Road Redemption' is the spiritual successor to 'Road Rash'

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Steam Early Access is now offering the opportunity to purchase Road Redemption, the spiritual successor to Road Rash that blends Road Rash-style gameplay with next-gen graphics, physics and online play. If you were a fan of that franchise, you’ll probably like what developer DarkSeas Games is doing with this game.

The game’s description says it brings state-of-the-industry combat controls, insane crashes, destructible environments, AI, ragdoll physics and online multiplayer to the classic formula that was Road Rash. The idea is to bring back the challenging, skill-based gameplay that defined gaming on the Sega Genesis (MegaDrive), 3DO and Nintendo 64.

Or in other words, it’s like a more focused and brutal version of Carmageddon, if you remember that game.

road redemption road rash

The title first made headlines more than a year ago when it was successfully funded on Kickstarter. The story puts gamers in control of a recently-paroled felon that must work back up the ranks of their old motorcycle club. During the process, you’ll discover that not all of your biker brothers are acting in the best interest of the club and some may even be responsible for your incarceration.

The developer has said the game doesn’t and never will have microtransactions.

Anyone that buys the game now through September 25 will enjoy a 10 percent discount which will bring the total down to just $17.99.

Permalink to story.

Very educative for the youth. I can only hope one of the authors get the kind of road treatment to feel the effect of the game in person. That'll be spiritual too.

I for one am looking forward to this game being released. I enjoyed playing Road Rash when it came out in 1991. I won't purchase it until it is completed, but do enjoy seeing the progress they've been making with the "Re-make". Wish more companies would hop on the "re-make" bandwagon and re-make some of the classic games people have requested.

I downloaded this months ago and wasn't able to play it. It basically requires a gamepad to be playable. Have they sorted out getting the xbone controller on PC yet?

Road Rash was a fun game at the time, however Road Redemption doesn't look impressive to me. The graphics are sub-par, which I can deal with, however the driving mechanics look awful. Too bad companies don't release demos anymore, I'll have to torrent it to try it (before buying it).

Very educative for the youth. I can only hope one of the authors get the kind of road treatment to feel the effect of the game in person. That'll be spiritual too.

Really? Why exactly do you wish the developers to be injured or killed for just making a game?

Really? Why exactly do you wish the developers to be injured or killed for just making a game?
The ideas of making games about violence all come from the lack of imagination and responsibilities. A good and responsible person should create things to improve on the reality, not to make it worse. Especially when it comes to kids who take things very literally, they go and do what they see on the screen.

The ideas of making games about violence all come from the lack of imagination and responsibilities. A good and responsible person should create things to improve on the reality, not to make it worse. Especially when it comes to kids who take things very literally, they go and do what they see on the screen.

That's a load of BS, every second there are millions of kids playing violent games ( COD, BF, CS, etc.) I dont see killing sprees coming from them on the streets these days, maybe you do? ROFL

That's a load of BS, every second there are millions of kids playing violent games ( COD, BF, CS, etc.) I dont see killing sprees coming from them on the streets these days, maybe you do? ROFL

What do you mean? I remember playing Super Mario Bros. as a kid and I was always running around in the woods eating wild mushrooms and stomping on poor little turtles. That game almost ruined my life!

Seriously though, I can't believe people are still whining about violent games and claiming they make kids act that way in real life. That is such ridiculous nonsense. I really hope this guy is just trolling but either way wishing harm on someone simply for making a video game is really disgusting.

So many people in denial! It takes a borderline insane person to even develop head-shot games, much less play them. It is walking a thin line playing these game when talking about killing someone would land you in jail. I would even go so far as to say we live in a two-faced culture over the thought.

Don't you find it a tad hypocritical that you want some sort of violence happen to a developer for making a violent game?

What they need to do is have the ESRB tighten up on the rating system. Too many kids can buy mature games. Another thing is that parents need to buy age-appropriate games for their kid and not buy them mature games just to shut up the kid's whining about it.

lol I played road rash for years as a kid and didn't turn into some crazy on the road as an adult relax VitalyT :p

Yes, so soon we forget the roving bans of motor cycle maniacs this games predecessor "Road Rash" created in the 90s! Remember the 0 to .001 people a year who were killed in motor cycle melee combat? Take heed now lest we revive the hellish mad maxian decade known as The 90's. !

giphy.gif

You should stop posting. Almost every videogame revolves around violence. This does not translate into kids doing the exact same thing they see on screen. If this were the case? All children would be rampaging murderers. It's lighthearted entertainment based off an original game in the 90s.

I loved playing Road Rash on my sega genesis and I haven't hurt anyone in my life including animals. Ok fine, I have killed hundreds of flies over my life.

You should stop posting. Almost every videogame revolves around violence. This does not translate into kids doing the exact same thing they see on screen. If this were the case? All children would be rampaging murderers. It's lighthearted entertainment based off an original game in the 90s.

So, the violence prevails, according to your post, so let's give it up. Might as well take cops from the streets while you're at it, 'cos what's the hell... even if kids do it... - The kind of thinking that gets you f####d for life, until the day you may or may not wake up and tell the difference between the right and the wrong...

Yes, so soon we forget the roving bans of motor cycle maniacs this games predecessor "Road Rash" created in the 90s! Remember the 0 to .001 people a year who were killed in motor cycle melee combat? Take heed now lest we revive the hellish mad maxian decade known as The 90's. !

The way in which I remember it, some actors, like Mel Gibson, has only been good at playing savages on screen, nothing else, really. That kind of sets apart a good story from Hollywood's rebels and the insane.

Back