Roadblock after roadblock, I need help downloading Avast 5.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

N1nJa

Hey,
I was having trouble updating my Avast 4.8 to the 5.0 so I figured I'd uninstal 4.8 and then just redownload 5.0
However, when I open the setup_av.exe, it gets about 30 seconds into the instal when I get a 'side by side' configuration error. It asks that I try to reinstal but it doesnt work. I googled this problem and I keep reading that I should update my visual C++

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...34-3E03-4391-8A4D-074B9F2BC1BF&displaylang=en
and
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...75-3B97-4AB7-A40D-3802B2AF5FC2&displaylang=en

However when I try and update that i get;
Error 1935. An error occured during the installation of assembly 'Microsoft.VC90.ATL, version "9.0.21022.8"... error code HRESULT:0x80070424

My windows update hasnt been able to work for a while, and am curious how to fix these problems so I can have an antivirus program running on my computer.

I run a 64bit Vista

Normally you would Remove 4.0. Reboot. Then install 5.0. I don't know if 64 bit plays around with it to make ti more problematic.

All versions of Avast are removed from my computer, and that doesnt help with any of the problems posted above

C++ runtime errors and inability to update AV programs, and even Windows, can be produced by malware infections. Have you considered this might be a possibility?

I am certain it is not a malware infection. I am very careful on what I click, download, open, read etc. That and I run Malwarebytes weekly.
I am usually quite knowledgeable with computers, but I keep hitting roadblocks and I'm just frustrated more than anything.
What can I do to fix, or try and fix my Windows update problem? It started not working roughly half a year ago

It is sort of a pain to do, but also instructive... Install your original Windows disk in Repair Mode... not Repair Console, but the one that comes after that...
It will fix that problem, and perhaps others...
The biggest problem with it, is that it wipes out some Windows Updates, that you have to re-install .
It is wise to make a backup of important data, but only as precaution.
Then it reinstalls Windows without messing with any of your other files... We have done many hundreds of them with nary a problem... for patching little issues such as you describe.

I am having the same issue with avast, but it's not giving me this error during install, it's giving it to me after it is fully installed and I attempt to open it.

I dont know if I should try downloading the C++ thing listed above though because I am only running Vista 32bit. Before I proceed, I wanted to make sure this is a safe idea.

It is sort of a pain to do, but also instructive... Install your original Windows disk in Repair Mode... not Repair Console, but the one that comes after that...
It will fix that problem, and perhaps others...
The biggest problem with it, is that it wipes out some Windows Updates, that you have to re-install .
It is wise to make a backup of important data, but only as precaution.
Then it reinstalls Windows without messing with any of your other files... We have done many hundreds of them with nary a problem... for patching little issues such as you describe.

I will definitely try this tonight when I get home from work, I really just want these problems to end. I hate going online unprotected like this.

Also, as a temporary solution to my Avast problem I figured i'd install AVG just till I get everything figured out, but i'm having installation errors with it to that are linking back to these windows updates...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back