Roadmap leaked: Nvidia GeForce GTX 580 to be 20% faster

Emil

Staff

Nvidia is expected to launch its GF110-based GeForce GTX 580 sometime before the end of the year (late November or early December). The Fermi-based graphics chipset will perform 20 percent faster than the current GeForce GTX 480, according to sources from graphics card makers quoted by DigiTimes.

Following the GF110, Nvidia will gradually unveil its GF112, GF114, and GF119 architectures in 2011. The three will be positioned positions similar to the company's GF104, GF106, and GF108 lines, respectively. Naturally, all of these are still DirectX 11 cards. 28nm Kepler GPUs are slated to arrive by the end of 2011. Nvidia is also currently developing Maxwell, Kepler's successor, but we won't see it before 2012.

The rumors are closely tied to a recently leaked roadmap, courtesy of 4Gamer. Most of the leaked performance improvements are attributed to a huge leap in the number of texture units: from 60 in the GTX 480 to 128 in the GTX 580. The specification claims are as follows: GF110/768 cores/512bit GDDR5, GF112/384 cores/320bit GDDR5, and GF119/96 cores/64bit DDR3. The GF112 is noticeably missing from the purported roadmap.

Permalink to story.

Deso said:
242 more cores and only 20 % faster...?
I'm betting it's gonna be more then 20 %

They said 20% faster the the GTX 480

512 - 480= 32 more cores
That might be a misprint, or a made up roadmap. Others are reporting that the 580 is a 512 core version of the 480. with the timing of this though...who knows

*****okay i got it. The 580 is the dual GPU card they have been threatening forever. It looks to be made up of dual GF112's
other sites wrote that the 580 was going to be a 512 core single gpu.

Is GTX 580 really a new generation or just a fully unlocked GTX 480? It seems like it should only be called GTX 485 or something. Maybe Nvidia wants people to think it is a new gen, but really it is only a previous gen fully unlocked/enhanced?

This is a shot towards AMD's bow. They are pushing this out there because they know AMD are brining out their new generation about the same time. The new name is to confuse people into thinking this is a new generation, when all it is, is a rehash of the same ol' same ol'.

But hey, competition is king, more power to them, and keep the video cards a'comin.

Starting to wish this naming scheme wasn't so tarded and arse backwards. Both ATI and Nvidia are pulling out all the stops to tr and confuse as many people as possible, its really nothing new for Nvidia but now that ATI has decided to take the x8xx away from there high end cards by giving them to what should be the 6770 and 6750 but instead there going to be 6870 and 6850, why they did this makes no sense at all. 580GTX? Why not, and until real numbers are provided its nothing more then a load of hog squat. Because everyone knows 768 is only 20% more than 480 its simple math, 480 divided by 5 is 96, now add that to 480 and you get 576... wait a minute... Sigh...

"Leaked"
Umm, yea right, coincidentally just when ATI happens to release their new cards :D

Starting to wish this naming scheme wasn't so tarded and **** backwards. Both ATI and Nvidia are pulling out all the stops to tr and confuse as many people as possible, its really nothing new for Nvidia but now that ATI has decided to take the x8xx away from there high end cards by giving them to what should be the 6770 and 6750 but instead there going to be 6870 and 6850, why they did this makes no sense at all. 580GTX? Why not, and until real numbers are provided its nothing more then a load of hog squat. Because everyone knows 768 is only 20% more than 480 its simple math, 480 divided by 5 is 96, now add that to 480 and you get 576... wait a minute... Sigh...

Well now that the numbers are out AD, I don't think this is an attempt at deception. 1) If they were trying to charge the same price as the 5850 and 5870 that would be an attempt at a swindle, but clearly the prices are very different... and lower.
2) If you are going to spend a couple hundred bucks on a VGA, have a care and ya know... look into it a bit.
3) They state from the beginning that these are not the 5800 replacements.
4) It might be nice if things stayed the same always and forever, but she don't always work out that way :)
5) the only way the numbering scheme is going to be a problem for people is if they hand $200-$300 to someone without paying attention to anything. and if thats the case, it doesn't matter how you number the cards. I have lost track of how many people I have have talked to at TS or in my business that bought a HD 5450 and cant fathom why it doesn't run Crysis on high at 50+ FPS second, after all "its a 5000 series card" uhg.

red1776 said:
They said 20% faster the the GTX 480

Scuttlebutt I'm hearing is exactly that number.
Full metal layer revision (B1 ?) of the GF100.
A "little lower" in power consumption, same 384-bit/1536Mb GDDR5 -tho likely clocked at 1000-1200MHz (4000-4800MHz effective) -so the memory controller finally fixed (?), 512 core. Core frequency more in line with the original projected GTX 480 clocks ( 750MHz Core/ 1500MHz shader)
By all accounts, TSMC have chips produced. Possible/expected launch date is the last week of November, although that doesn't leave a whole lot of time for AIB's to get their packaging done. I assume all boards would be reference design, at least initially.

With the HD6970/6950 launching (probably) a week earlier, the last month of the year could prove to be fairly interesting in the enthusiast domain. All that would be missing is games that require that level of performance.

I bet it will overheat like hell (just like gtx480 did).
Please don't rush it nvidia.
Be as successful as you were with the gtx460

Doesn't Matter. Fight is B/W Nvida and Ati, So which 1 u think take the position?

Back