Rocket League Review: One of the surprise hits of the year so far

Jos

Staff

Luke and Patrick over at Kotaku have been playing a lot of Rocket League, one of the surprise hits of the year so far. Rather than have them fight it out to review the game, we figured it was best to just let them both do it.

Luke Plunkett: The thing that impresses me the most about Rocket League, and I guess it’s the thing that keeps me coming back to it so often, is how it’s a multiplayer game, but it’s not a multiplayer game. I normally avoid traditionally multiplayer titles; the last thing I want to deal with when playing video games is the grating sound and erratic behaviour of other human beings. But with Rocket League, it just doesn’t matter.

Patrick Klepek: Let me be clear: I hate multiplayer games. Even when I have to review games with multiplayer, I’m cringing the whole time. It’s why I didn’t even want to bother with Rocket League, and ignored everything people were saying during the first week of release. I only started playing the game because people were so enthralled by it, despite the servers being a disaster the first week. Nobody else at Kotaku was playing, and it seemed like someone should. That’s how the addiction began, that’s how I started playing Rocket League and not playing any other video game in what was supposed to be a slow summer for games.

Read the complete review.

I'll be the first to say... this game is overrated. :)
Not much time to be invested in such games.

Please list the other inexpensive, fast, and extremely popular games.

The game is relatively inexpensive and filled with repeatable multiplayer fun. If Valve made it, it'd be free. It's a time waster, an entertaining one.

Wasn't this game basically already created in final fantasy 10? or am I remembering the beginning of that game incorrectly?

This is not blitz ball by a wide margin.
aha! thats what it was called, yea it's definitely not blitz ball lol. at least you refreshed my memory, had to look up blitz ball lol. when I first saw rocket league gameplay I could've swore I've seen something like it before, guess not :(.

Its fun, its new, its cheap, its quick, its simple, its shiny, its different and there is a huge multplayer base. I am not a die hard fan but yeah like I said.

Wasn't this game basically already created in final fantasy 10? or am I remembering the beginning of that game incorrectly?
"Rocket League" is a sequel to the PS3 game "Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket-Powered Battle-Cars". "Rocket League" is easier to say/remember that "Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket-Powered Battle-Cars 2" :)

Rocket League is a lot of fun. 1 million copies sold on Steam is no joke. I was able to get it for free on PS4 because it was one of the free monthly games in July, but I would have gladly paid $20 after playing it for at least 20 hours so far.

Back