Rockstar announces $500,000 in-game Stimulus Package for GTA Online players

Shawn Knight

Staff member

rockstar gta online gta v

Technical issues are pretty much a guarantee these days whenever a highly anticipated game makes its online debut. It’s incredibly frustrating not to be able to play your just-purchased game as the creators intended and rather than try and prepare for the issue ahead of time, it seems publishers are content to work out the kinks or add more servers after the fact and shovel freebies at gamers to make up for it.

Such is the case with Rockstar’s latest smash hit, GTA V. While the single-player mode is outstanding, the multiplayer segment was predictably met with numerous technical issues. As a peace offering to those that have been unable to enjoy the online experience, Rockstar is offering anyone that has played or will play GTA Online this month a special in-game stimulus package.

Specifically, users’ bank accounts will receive $500,000 of in-game cash starting as early as next week. To help keep the worldwide in-game economy in check, the money will be awarded via two separate deposits of $250,000. Specific dates will be announced as soon as possible, Rockstar promised, and they hope this will facilitate a fresh start or makes your continued in-game life a bit sweeter.

Players must first install the latest inbound patch (1.04) which is expected to remedy some lingering issues like vehicle purchase loss. Otherwise, no additional actions are required and the money should automatically appear in the in-game bank accounts of eligible players.

Permalink to story.

To hell with the multiplayer. If they offer me $500 000 in real cash I'll give it a try. Until then the single player campaign is what I'll play (when it comes out on PC of course).

You know even if they haven't confirmed a PC release yet, I still get the feeling rockstar actually cares a little about the community. Not enough to take priority over money, but it still means more than most other companies now.

They made a total of $1 billion, and more. 500k is a mere 0.05% of the profit.

"Rockstar is offering anyone that has played or will play GTA Online this month a special in-game stimulus package"

Everybody that plays this month? So that's probably everyone who owns a copy of GTA Online (or at least 95% of them)

Isn't giving everybody 500k pretty much the same as giving nobody 500k?

You get an advantage, but so does every other player in the game, meaning nobody edges ahead... so no real advantage and hence no real "reimbursement" for the inconvenience.

I haven't played the game, so maybe there's a side to this that I'm not seeing, but it feels to me like nobody gains from this.

Sounds like wall street. Of course, that's only $40 billion a month.
A quick glance at that figure and the 500K, makes it look as if on 80000 people are playing the game.
You get an advantage, but so does every other player in the game, meaning nobody edges ahead... so no real advantage and hence no real "reimbursement" for the inconvenience.
Meaning all current players will edge ahead of future players. Or at least until the next stupid sales promotion with in-game BS.

"

Isn't giving everybody 500k pretty much the same as giving nobody 500k.

Giving people an advantage is not the point of a stimulus. In this case it reimburses people who legitimately lost money through bugs. Not really a stimulus. IRL a stimulus is to encourage spending to get money flowing, not give anyone an advantage.

"

Isn't giving everybody 500k pretty much the same as giving nobody 500k.

Giving people an advantage is not the point of a stimulus. In this case it reimburses people who legitimately lost money through bugs. Not really a stimulus. IRL a stimulus is to encourage spending to get money flowing, not give anyone an advantage.

Thanks Ranger12, for helping people who do not read the article!

I read the whole article, but there wasn't really a direct mention of players losing money through bugs in this article, but I guess I should have gone back and read the previous articles as well

Thanks for clarifying :)

I read the whole article, but there wasn't really a direct mention of players losing money through bugs in this article, but I guess I should have gone back and read the previous articles as well

Thanks for clarifying :)

Not purposefully being a ****.. but yes, it did.

Players must first install the latest inbound patch (1.04) which is expected to remedy some lingering issues like vehicle purchase loss. Otherwise, no additional actions are required and the money should automatically appear in the in-game bank accounts of eligible players.

Sorry, I notice it's not so direct.

Back