Rockstar delays PC version of GTA V for a second time, announces minimum / recommended specs

Shawn Knight

Staff member

gta delayed specs announced

In what can only be described as a disappointing turn of events, Rockstar has delayed the launch of the PC version of Grand Theft Auto V for a second time.

The game originally hit store shelves on September 17, 2013, for the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360. It arrived more than a year later – November 18, 2014, to be exact – on Microsoft and Sony’s next generation consoles sporting a new first-person mode, improved graphics, longer draw distances, more wildlife and denser traffic, among other improvements.

A PC version was supposed to launch late last year alongside the PS4 and Xbox One variants before being pushed back to January 27. Unfortunately, PC gamers will now have to wait an additional two months – until March 24 – to finally get their hands on the best-selling game of 2013.

Rockstar apologized for the shift in the date, citing the need for a few extra weeks of testing and polishing to make it as good as possible.

In related news, the publisher also revealed minimum and recommended system specifications which have been reproduced below.

Minimum specifications:

• OS: Windows 8.1 64 Bit, Windows 8 64 Bit, Windows 7 64 Bit Service Pack 1, Windows Vista 64 Bit Service Pack 2* (*NVIDIA video card recommended if running Vista OS)
  • Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz (4 CPUs) / AMD Phenom 9850 Quad-Core Processor (4 CPUs) @ 2.5GHz
  • Memory: 4GB
  • Video Card: NVIDIA 9800 GT 1GB / AMD HD 4870 1GB (DX 10, 10.1, 11)
  • Sound Card: 100% DirectX 10 compatible
  • HDD Space: 65GB
  • DVD Drive

Recommended specifications:

• OS: Windows 8.1 64 Bit, Windows 8 64 Bit, Windows 7 64 Bit Service Pack 1
  • Processor: Intel Core i5 3470 @ 3.2GHZ (4 CPUs) / AMD X8 FX-8350 @ 4GHZ (8 CPUs)
  • Memory: 8GB
  • Video Card: NVIDIA GTX 660 2GB / AMD HD7870 2GB
  • Sound Card: 100% DirectX 10 compatible
  • HDD Space: 65GB
  • DVD Drive

Permalink to story.

I am slightly upset, they had plenty of time to get this polisher however greed took place once again. Screwing over the platform which has made their name is rather appalling. However if all this means much polished game, by all means.

Now lastly, what the actual **** is 30 player servers doing on PC? I was expecting at least 60 players per server. They have a real gem here with GTA:O, they could carry it as a semi "mmo". The ideas are endless, guess their time and effort, or hell even drive (interest) is lacking.

Come on people. Look at those requirements. The game was made and tested on equipement from Q2 of 2012. It was ready with the release of X360 and PS3 version. They just wait for new gen consoles to earn another $2billion and they will realease it for PC. The question is: will people pay $30 for a 2 year old game that been spoilered all over internets. And another thing is: if those requirements are real, then it's poorly ported, since both GTA4 and 5 are X360 ports and GTA4 didn't required quad core. I actually enjoyed it on slightly OC'd Pentium E5200 and 8800GT on medium 900p. I think it looked better than on cousin's X360.

I'm perfectly fine with this as well.... I want a game that works when it comes out. I don't want to play crap and then hope that they release fixes for it in the future.

As for other comments on here, some are perfectly valid. Yes it would have been nice to us PC gamers that they hold off on their console releases until they are ready for PC so they can all be released at the same time. But you are right greed took over, they wanted their money. It is a business after all.

As for extreme requirements? Perhaps.... perhaps not. Who is to justify this until after the game has been out and compared to other games running on different engines. Supposedly the PC version will have much better graphics, taking advantage of the faster hardware we can get.

On a side note. I find it interesting game developers still can't put recommended requirements for specific or intended monitor resolutions. Are these requirements for a 1080p display or 720p? Or even higher?

Regardless if all these comments, I've seen some videos, I know the GTA games from past and must say this still looks excellent. Sure I'm annoyed it is taking forever to come out, but if it is good then I don't mind. This might be one of the few games worth paying full price for. I can say GTA 4 had so many technical issues on the PC it was not worth the full price. I'm glad I only paid $12 for it on Steam. Once I got settings tweaked to get a decent experience for the game, I felt I got my monies worth.

As for extreme requirements? Perhaps.... perhaps not. Who is to justify this until after the game has been out and compared to other games running on different engines. Supposedly the PC version will have much better graphics, taking advantage of the faster hardware we can get.

I don't see how these are extreme specifications. My system was built back in '09, slightly upgraded here and there with 'mid grade parts of the yesteryears', and it meets the requirements other than the six year old processor I have - AMD Phenom II x4 810 (2.6Ghz) but the CPU has been beast since I bought it, playing games that 'require' higher components, on Medium to high settings. It does chug on most ultra settings though, FPS severely drops.

Makes me wonder if the delay is for product QC or if they just don't want to be caught with a shortage of stock when it finally is released. Considering the first release/buy them might just be using the added time to get more product out to the distribution centers in anticipation of the big run on the release date. Certainly wouldn't be the first time that ever happened ......

Hope they release it on Steam, it is 2015... a DVD drive should not be required. Apart from lacking any sort of optical drive, my PC specs are better than the recommended requirements. :)

Let's be real here. Rockstar are not releasing it to better the game. That is just PR bs. They are letting the console do what they need to do, sell the game more, make a lil more money.

How many times have we ALL heard we taking more time to polish the game but still the games were broken, some so bad that they weren't even playable till months later for some, hint hint EA.

So take the whole we are polishing the game for you with a grain of salt as that is not likely was is going on.
I am all for a game company to do the right thing and make a good game with little fixing going on from the beginning but that is not going to happen do to the deadlines they have to meet. This delay with GTA 5 has nothing to do with anything other than trying to sell more on the consoles maybe even fix some issues for them (LOL).
Wait for the game to come out in 2 months and watch the issues pile up. People will be like, well what was the delay for. Rockstar will just say we working on the issues, we appaulogize for the delay LOL. Then we will ALL know what the delay was for, money, nothing else. To sell more on consoles and probably which might be the most important aspect is I bet it's being released for their fiscal year. Wouldn't surprise me if it is actually in March, hence the new release date. These companies aren't stupid but the also have to answer to investors.

Good call from Rockstar, I respect their decision. GTA 4 was was and still an unpolished mess on the PC, seems like they are optimizing GTA 5 correctly this time.

I'll reserve judgement until I actually get to test the game. Rockstar has a very bad history with their PC ports so I'm not going to assume they are taking this time strictly to "polish" the game. For all we know, there could be a major game-breaking bug that they're trying to fix before the game ships...

As far as waiting two more months, I don't consider that a huge deal considering we have already waited 1.25 years for a PC version. I hope they surprise everyone and release a solid port that takes advantage of the PC's extra horsepower.

Take there time and get it right is ok with me... Have seen to many AAA games be rushed and be turn to be a patch after after aptch to try to fix it.. (EA)...But it is kinda funny that the Month of march is same month Hardline is suppose to come out..So now Rockstar now goes up against EA in march.. With similar modes in some ways... GTA V I would pick over the other..

:cool:

No way am I going to pay the full $60 for this once it releases for PC. I think $29.99 would be the max, non-sale price I would be willing to fork over for a two year old game.

It's easy to be cynical about this, but look at debacles like AC: Unity, HALO Master Chief Collection, Battlefield 4, Drive Club, & Sim City and how the developers and/or publishers decided to smooth things over with free DLC or even full games. At some point someone who controls the purse strings is going to realize that releasing a broken game isn't worth the fallout.

Back