ROI, Rip-Off-Ireland exposed!

RealBlackStuff

To convert my home theatre system Sony DAV-S500 from 220V to 110V,
I asked Sony Ireland for the corresponding part. They referred me to some UK-outfit, that requires £108.- incl. VAT, plus shipping.
Contacting Sony USA, I can get the same part there for $25.27 plus state tax & shipping.
A difference of £108.- = US$198.70 - $25.27 gives the grand total of $173.40!

if you're willing to open the box, you may be able to replace the power unit
with a 'Universal Power Supply' (with the correct outputs) as these have
the 220 vs 110 switch built-in.

Tedster said:
couldn't you just buy a generic down-step transformer?

I would need an expensive step-UP transformer! My machine now needs 220V and in the US I'll get only 110V.
So a relatively cheap official PSU-board from Sony will be all I need.

And I've opened it already to have a look at that PCB (and 2 years ago also, to 'chip' the DVD-player for all regions, plus no more Macrovision protection!).

[qoute]I would need an expensive step-UP transformer! [/quote]

220 vs 110 is a 2/1 ratio. Transformers have no polarity and run both directions.

the sole issue is the current draw

1) box
1) female plug
1) power cord
1) 2/1 transformer of xxx watts rating

+ 10 minutes and you're done :)

And have this ugly transformer sitting in my livingroom? No thanks.
As I said, the 110V PCB from Sony is the answer.

In case you haven't heard yet, I'll be moving from Ireland to the USA in August.

And to be honest, I don't quite believe your 'theory'.

RealBlackStuff said:
And have this ugly transformer sitting in my livingroom? No thanks.
As I said, the 110V PCB from Sony is the answer.

In case you haven't heard yet, I'll be moving from Ireland to the USA in August.

And to be honest, I don't quite believe your 'theory'.
fine, your choice.
I've been building shortwave radios since the '60s, and a 2/1 transformer is not
even the size of a shoebox. if you're not comfortable with the equipment, it's
better you not fuss with it.

best wishes on your relocation.

Thanks for the good wishes.
The PCB is WDH 3"x2"x0.5", beats a shoebox anytime...
Not to mention the convenience.

I was building transistor radios and senders already in the early fifties (now I'm really showing my age...). Planted one in the teachers' room when they were discussing who was to pass their exams, and I was outside listening on my receiver. We knew the results pretty damn early. In boarding school I had built a radio, that was hidden inside a pair of socks! Powered by the mains, antenna was the steel bunkbed frame, listening through an earphone. I know a lot about electrics and electronics, re-wired 3 houses, built all sorts of electronic gear, know most about car electrics, but as I said, never heard of your way to convert 110V to 220V.

the whole issue is
PowerIn = PowerOut​
Use a power factor of 1.5 * the equipment draw to run at 75% duty cycle,
and the current draw from the house supply must not exceed the current rating
of the SECONDARY winding of the step-down transformer, which in this case would become the primary. :)

btw: where are you headed? The great Irish migration found many settling in Boston, which is a great down! :grinthumb

RealBlackStuff said:
Pennsylvania, a small village near the Pocono mountains.

ahh what town mate? Is it Jim Thorpe aka mauch chunk? Nice town in the legih valley. I know its a long shot, there are alot of small towns in PA ;)

Back