Roku announces thumb-sized set-top 'Streaming Stick'

By Matthew
Jan 4, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Roku is celebrating the new year by unveiling miniature set-top solution. Dubbed the "Roku Streaming Stick," it's approximately the same size as a USB flash drive but packs most of…

Read the whole story
  2. j05hh

j05hh Newcomer, in training Posts: 96   +15

I have a Roku 2 XS and love it.
  3. I cannot wait for this to come out. TW can then take their giant expensive clunky set top boxes and sell them as door stops at a flea market. I am so glad that people will no longer be held up and robbed blind by their cable companies.
  4. ...umm, and who do you think you pay to get access to the internet for broadband service to use such a device if not a cable company? Most Americans have few alternative options, and most of those alternative options all set similar pricing schemes. The way they compete is not with price, but with offered features. The cable companies will continue to be able to "screw" us, the consumer.

...and if not Cable, then the Telco companies providing the internet access.
  5. So will it work on a tv that doesn't have MHL?
  6. Taharial

Taharial Newcomer, in training

A niche market indeed. I can't imagine there would be a huge amount of HDTV users that don't already have some other device that at least has access to Netflix.
    I would imagine most HDTV owners purchased an HDTV because they wanted to either game or watch blu ray quality movies. Considering you'd need internet access for this device to work, you'd most likely already own a PC or possibly a game system that could stream through your TV.
    I wish them the best though. Ultimately the free market will decide if Roku will make it or not.
    BTW, am I the only one that doesn't feel like my cable provider is an evil entity out to screw me over at every turn?

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.