Router lag spikes during games

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Netgear DG834G wireless router which i connect to the internet via AOL

My problem is the connection cuts out, mostly when I am playing games such as Red Faction. My internet works OK, i am able to access most sites via Mozilla Firefox and sites that I cant access, i CAN if i load up the AOL browser. All is OK but when i start playing games, the connection is OK, i get 30 ping for about 1 minute, after that ALL HELL BREAKS LOSE and my ping jumps into the 9000 region, it hangs there for a while, then after 2-3 mins it comes back down to 40. This cycle repeats.. and its VERY annoying vbecause it makes games unplayable.

I also notice that when i enter a game and i dont spawn (dont start playing), the ping stays at a good 40-50 and doesnt change. When I do start playing, after about 20 secs the ping jumps to 9000 and my connection drops for 1min and then it returns.

Need a couple more specs of detail from you.

So you connect your router via AOL? You talking AOL DSL or Cable? Who actually is your Internet provider? I'm asking because a lot of people I come in contact with only use AOL to keep their E-mail, but actually use a different ISP. And then AOL just uses THAT connection.

Anyhow, it may be a cop-out, but some routers are just not cut out for gaming, just not built for it. If there is any way to test some other router from some other brand, that would be good. Otherwise you could see if that router has any updated firmware you could download. Get on Netgear's web site to check.

Do any other computers use the router? If so try disconnecting them for a minute to see if it helps.
Some routers actually have a "gaming" mode in the options to optimize it for games. Check your router settings for any such option.

Other then that, it's hard to say. If your ISP is not AOL, why do you use them? If they ARE AOL, then consider somebody else for your connection. I suggest cable.

good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back