Router not giving internet connection

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,
I recently bought a linksys 802.11g router. I am mainly going to use it for my Nintendo Ds's Wi-fi But i'v run into a problem. I dont know much(well anything) about routers. But what I'v done is I hook in the wire to my modem that gives the router its internet access. Then I use one of the other four ports to hook up my computer to the router. Then I have no idea if im supposed to do anything else but my computer doesn't have internet acess. My ds can sense the router but not pick up any connection from it. I'v hit the little golden button so that it's blinking white and that doesnt work. I'v restarted my computer and all kinds of things. If anyone has any help that would be great.

Thank You
-Elivmar ~(E)~

Read The Friendly Manual, especially the bit that explains how to set up the router and the computers.

you have to manually enter some settings in the router config. tool. your isp should provide you with 'em.

to get to the config tool, open your browser, and enter: 192.168.1.1

I just did. I also used the CD it cames with to set up the wireless settings and it's still not working. O yea and I meant to write it was a linksys WRT54GS 802.11g.

Elivmar said:
I just did. I also used the CD it cames with to set up the wireless settings and it's still not working. O yea and I meant to write it was a linksys WRT54GS 802.11g.

I had the pleasure of setting one of these up for my brother and it was a bit difficult.

Firstly use the reset procedure in the manual to reset the router and start from scratch,

You need to follow the wiring diagram as per the manual supplied, your cable modem or ADSL modem must be plugged into the correct port and most important the modem must be rebooted before connecting to the router.

Once done run the software disk, on the one I did it took a few minutes but it did finally get a connection to the internet, its all done by the setup disk as far as I can remember,

Once you have the internet working on the router, a light on the front will tell you if its connected to the internet, then plug in the PC and set it to obtain its IP address by DHCP, to do this ask about DHCP in the help section of windows.

Once done you should be good to go.

As a last note if your using the wireless side then good luck, i had a shi* of a job getting that to work properly, but I did it in the end

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back