Router problems, need a pro's help!

By leon158
Dec 16, 2007
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I'm currently using a wireless connection by iZZi which comes with a receiver and modem in 1 and the internet connectivity is impressive. Recently another user needed the internet access under the same roof and I installed a Wireless router with 4 cable ports as well. For the main computer, i used a Lan cable to connect to the router. There was internet connectivity but the performance dropped greatly. Bittorrent downloads can only go 1 at a time and it was much slower than without the router. And another thing, I was no longer able to log in to windows live messenger. Without the router, I used to log into windows live messenger within 1-2 seconds but through the router, it keeps telling me to check my internet connection. Please advice, I'm running out of ideas
  2. raybay

raybay TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 10,716   +6

What is the brand and model of the wireless router? What country are you in?
  3. mikescorpio81

mikescorpio81 Newcomer, in training Posts: 574

Change the wireless channel on your router.
    If it's currently set to 11, change it to 5 or similar.
  4. leon158

leon158 Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

Changing the channel didn't work. It's a Belkin Wireless G Router and I'm from Malaysia.
  5. commission

commission Newcomer, in training Posts: 30

Has it got the latest firmware?
  6. mikescorpio81

mikescorpio81 Newcomer, in training Posts: 574

Take the 2nd router out of your network and test to see if all goes back to normal.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.