router to router

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi all. have a mentor mr4c adsl router works aok want to add on a d.link di-604 router switch which has no modem can i do this the di-604 has a hardware firewall and mentor is just a no thrills chepo router wich i have runing a dream the di-604 has all the bis to make a better network secure
thanks ........................help

im not really sure what exactly you're asking, next time please use proper grammar and such.
you should be able to hook your stuff together, just so long as you know how to configure said router.

Yes you can chain the routers.

I don't think the D-Link would be considerably more secure than the Mentor. The D-Link marketing department just had the guts to put more buzzwords into the product brochure :p

It should work if you plug the DLink WAN port to your Mentor router and setup the DLink's WAN to be the "ethernet" type.

You can turn that router into a hardware firewall and and turn off the DHCP features and re-loop the box into a switch. I've tried this and it works.

Really, nowadays the network security is not the main issue.

The client PC is the security hole. You can have a state-of-the-art firewall, but a single click in the inferior browser by an incompetent user could lead to the compromise of the computer or even the whole LAN.

IBN said:
What impact would that have on security? Does that make the network more secure?
no
one good router/firewall and good software/firewall and common sense on where you go and what you download is better than two routers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back