Router wont allow WEP for pocket pc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yohane

Last year we had a Lan system set up in our two building complex. After that I bought an HP iPAQ pocket pc (its no use mentioning the name of either the brand of the router nor the iPAQ pocket pc because they are home-grown Japanese versions). The problem is that I cant use the pocket pc (mobile 5) to connect to the lan. Why? According to the company that set the lan up in the first place, either the router or another component of the total system has WEP blocked. Plus they say, it can only be recitified by rewiring the whole of the two-buildings. We are talking one 3 and one 4 storey building. With both wireless and non-wireless connections. Soooo I can hear you say. Type in you ip and modify the router connections? Not so easy. I have played around with the display resoultions on my pc and no luck.

Is there some way to get round this problem without messing up everybody elses connections. If I add a router to my own pc can I do something to by pass the original router?

Yup, Im learning so if somebody can give me some constructive suggestions I would be more than happy.

Thanks

"it can only be recitified by rewiring the whole of the two-buildings". That's complete BS..

Now, assuming that you don't have some fancy LAN security in place that would let you connect only specific devices.. Just buy a standard wireless access point that works with your iPAQ and plug it into one of the LAN ports.

Thank you Nodsu. Im not sure what a standard wireless access point means or does but I guess I can only ask the people at the nearby pc shop - however, when I asked them the other night about a way to connect my mobile to the internet they had no clue.

Many thanks for the hint. I certainly will be looking in to the matter. I have already bought another router for my own pc and am going to set it up at the weekend. Guess I now just need the wireless access point.

Seriously consider a new supplier or company for your networking services.
Anyone who would configure and wire a site like this is, what we call in the U.S.,
controlling the customer -- locking you in so as to force future contracts.
Humbug! Fire them and start over.

While hind sight is 20/20, you now have the experience to force your next
vendor to FULLY document the site, hardware, and configuration settings
as a MUST COMPLETE task for full payment :0

Thank you Jobeard. Unfortunately what you suggest about a new supplier for our networking services is not a feasible possibility at this stage. For the needs of the whole the community. Im the only one asking to have WEP access. And from what I have read, allowing WEP to the whole network would also lower the security level of the whole. The others connected know virtually zero about computing. But, yes, it shall be valuable experience for the next time as you say.

Im still not sure whether the standard wireless access point would allow me to bypass the original router settings, but I will study further.

Many thanks to you both.

hum; the router can be set for no encryption or a specific encryption technique (WEP,WPA,WPA-2) and
from what I've seen, it's all or nothing. HOWEVER, this applies only to wireless
devices; a cable connection is never encrypted!

If you want private communications, you can use PGP to send encrypted email,
or a VPN (like VNC) connection to a specific target host.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back