Routers Connected in Series

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, this is my first post.

I will first explain the situation: My router is in the basement where the main computer is. We have three other computers in the house, another downstairs and 2 upstairs. Ethernet cables have been wired throughout the house to all the computers. There are no more ports on my router to be used and even if I did, I do not wish to wire more ethernet cables through the house (let me tell you its such a hassle).

Now heres my question: Can I take one of the ethernet connections thatgoes upstairs and have that connection go through a 2nd router? I wish split that connection to connect other devices such as a laptop and a video game system from this router. Is this connection possible? And if so, will I see a speed reduction? I currently have dsl internet and not cable. The downstairs router is an old smc router ( similar to this: http://www.smc.com/index.cfm?event=viewProduct&localeCode=EN_CAN&cid=1&scid=&pid=924)

Is it possible to have routers connected in series?

Yes, it would work but that would be a really silly thing to do - routers are not meant for such things.

What you need is an ethernet switch.

So instead of the purchasing the 2nd router I would buy a switch? I looked up what a switch is and too much of that information is technical for me, what would the switch do?

add more ports for connections -- exactly what you asked for :)

no configuration required either !

Nodsu said:
- routers are not meant for such things.
humbug; While it may be atypical for a home network, commercial sites do this for subnet control all the time. please don't exaggerate

So instead of purchasing the 2nd router, I would just buy the switch and im done? The switch will go upstairs and be connected by ethernet cable from the first router downstairs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back