By mooserny
Jan 28, 2007
  1. Can someone tell me what is a good reliable router?? I have a LinkSys Wireless-G 2.4 GHZ and it runs off a cable modem (roadrunner) It has been nothing but trouble since I got it. The only thing that runs wireless is my sons laptop in his bedroom upstairs. I also run 2 x-boxes, my pc and my other sons pc (all not wireless) off this router. I am constantly losing connection to everything. I have to unplug the router and restart it in order to get it to reconnect. As you may guess I do not enjoy losing the connection in the middle of a good ghost recon summit strike
    Do I need a better router? I have heard some bad things about the LinkSys router.

2. foozy

foozy TS Rookie Posts: 139

Netgear is supposed to be the top end stuff, but D-Link has never dissapointed me.
  3. mooserny

mooserny TS Rookie Topic Starter

Thanks foozy,
    I have been looking at the Netgear FR114P ProSafe VPN Firewall W/4 Port 10/100 Switch And Printer Server. It sells from $70-$100 at different places on the web. Not sure about the Printer Server though or just what VPN is??

Thanks Again,

4. tipstir

tipstir TS Ambassador Posts: 2,383   +105

Check the specs and test results with Tom Hardware before you get that above though. I was going to get it but stopped. Better to use a PC as Print Server though for home use.

Dlink had packet loss problems in the past
    Linksys the same
    NetGear better
    SMC also good
    Buffalo I only use wireless as AP.
    Dynex uses dlink routers but have tweaked it you find that at BB and it has VPN mode, Game Mode, Dyns Mode and a few other features prices is only $39 bucks. I have that running for 5 months without a problem it very quick though..
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.