Routing over .85 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.

WaveExistence

Alright, so here's the deal. I live on a 'ranch' that is a collection of six houses, four of which are vacation rental homes. There is a hub for internet cable at the bottom of the hill that the whole thing is situated on. Taking the road to my house is .85 miles although there is a house closer that I could use as the main hub which is a bit closer - but not much. I am trying to get a hold of a county map (google maps ironically do not cover my area in detail) to see what the straight line distance is.

Basically, I need to figure out a way to get the signal that far. It is uphill and in thick forest although I am literally at the point that I will fell trees to create line-of-sight paths through the woods to hook up a bunch of repeaters or antennas if that is the only solution. There's some guy that supposedly used some buffalo routers to send a signal over a mile but I can't get any information on it.

Cost is not much of an issue, although a solution under $600 or so would probably be best. My land lady will help with the expense since we would be able to hook up her rentals with internet service for guests. (I can just set 1 mbps limits on the specific routers.)

I am going to contact the cable company on Monday to see if I can just get a lock box where I can access the internet with a router at the hub as it obviously doesn't run to any of the houses. I'm sure I'll be able to work something out, but will post if this doesn't work out. My end goal is to have internet that is sufficient to play xbox live as well as intensive internet browsing. Me and my landlady both use Hughes Net and have had enough of their ridiculous policies and prices.

Will your cable company run an extension of the coax into the property?

The main problem you will have is the length of the run. The type of coax used by your cable company is very low loss, and can be run over long distances, but even then you have to check signal strength and install amplifiers as needed.
You will not get away with using regular coax, even the RG6 that is used for in-home wiring is too lossy for that long a run.

Fiber should work over that length, but it requires special hardware at each end.

I would recommend you discuss this with your cable provider.

FW

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back