Rovio releases Angry Birds 2, hopes to catch lightning in a bottle once again

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Those furious fowl are once again taking flight as Rovio has launched Angry Birds 2, the first true sequel in the popular franchise. The game retains the same slingshot format and many of the original characters but pretty much everything else has been overhauled.

Angry Birds 2 features multi-stage levels loaded with lush vegetation and plenty of detail. There’s also a cast of new characters joining familiar favorites complete with end-of-stage boss piggies. Our feathered friends can also cast spells like calling in a blizzard or summoning rubber ducks from the sky in their battle to get their eggs back.

In previous games, players had to fling over whichever birds were next in the line-up. Angry Birds 2 lets you choose which birds to propel and in what order using bird “cards.”

Rovio has also baked in a multiplayer aspect, allowing players to compete with others around the world to earn feathers that can be used to build their flock.

Angry Birds 2 is available as of writing for Android and iOS via their respective app stores. The game is free of charge yet as is the norm these days, it relies on in-app purchases to generate revenue. The good news is that players will be able to complete the entire game without spending any real-world cash.

Rovio struck gold with the original Angry Birds in 2009 and has successfully milked the franchise for everything it can. It’ll be interesting to see whether or not the sequel can give the series the boost it needs to reverse its downward momentum.

Permalink to story.

All fads must die.
Unless your Clash of Clans...my love/hate relationship with this game is just mind numbing. Seriously how did I not 2 star that TH9 last war?

Eh I quit clash of clans right around the time it started taking a few days to upgrade things. Just don't have time or patience for that.

CoC is a unique and dangerous trap for me personally. It's just casual enough for me to continue playing.. Yet hardcore enough for me to really delve into, if I have the time and ambition.

I'll inevitably give angry birds 2 a try.. Expecting the worst, hoping for the best.

Angry Birds 2 is all about luck with little skills needed. As the name suggest, this game is just make me angry.

Back