RPC Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

InfantryOnline

I hope this is the right forum.. well I get this message that says The RPC Server is unavailable. It happens when I try to listen to music on KaZaA..please help thanks..

PS.. do you know of any Free Virus scanners like norton but are free

I am not really sure about this, but I would try the following:

Under Control Panel, go to Administrative Tools, and Services.

Browse down till you see two items "Remote Procedure Call (RPC)" and "Remote Procedure Call (locator)". Start both of these services by clicking the > or by right clicking on each one and click Start.

Then see if that makes a difference. Again, I'm not really sure if it will, and I don't know what RPC would have to do with playing music or installing programs but it is worth a try.

Also check Administrative Tools, Event Viewer for any errors related to RPC that occured when you had the problem.

try clearing tmp files. You might also try deleting installshield. Installshield will sometimes give and RPC related error. This has something to do with the version on the machine being too old and it uses that rather than the newer one the app is packaged with or something(I'm not exactly sure, just know that I've seen it referenced as a fix for RPC errors related to installing certain apps)

I did that acid thanks for tellin me It worked and Iono if I'll reinstall installshield and Iono what dcom is but I did disable stuff when the blaster thing was going on .. (I was here on the forum when that happend)

You asked also about a free virus scanner. I recommend AVG free edition. It has an update feature and has caught several virus' that tried to hit my computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back