Rumor: AMD has a new flagship GPU in the works for a summer release

By Scorpus
May 12, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. According to the latest rumor from VideoCardz, which as always should be taken with a grain of salt, AMD is currently preparing a new, flagship graphics card that would replace the Radeon R9 290X. Citing board partner sources, this new...

Read more
  2. Puiu

Puiu TS Evangelist Posts: 1,803   +483

Less heat and power consumption while gaining more bandwidth? great.
  3. misor

misor TS Evangelist Posts: 1,157   +195

is it amd r9 290x black edition?
    ...or amd r9 290x ghz edition?
    ...or amd r9 291x? :)
    TheLastPanda likes this.
  4. Nobina

Nobina TS Evangelist Posts: 806   +270

Maybe r9 295x
  5. about R9 295X Ti Ghz Super Lightning GTX780-Killer special edition?
    TheLastPanda likes this.
  6. GhostRyder

GhostRyder You know, that one guy with the PC Posts: 2,189   +589

Based on what ive been reading, im going to guess due to the odd naming of the 295X2 that this will just be the R9 295. The stacked HBD memory will allow higher memory clocking which will be nice for higher resolutions. Im interested to see what becomes of this.

Of course, rumors are rumors so who knows.
  7. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 6,335   +1,937

Maybe they'll keep it simple like R9 GTX 290.5Ti.
  8. wastedkill

wastedkill TS Evangelist Posts: 1,373   +310

Another.... Hope its better than anything Nvidia has and cheaper too.... that doesnt require watercooling or a 500W on one line PSU
  9. Jad Chaar

Jad Chaar TS Evangelist Posts: 6,477   +965

Good to see a 780Ti competitor on the way.
  10. Footlong

Footlong TS Rookie Posts: 33   +6

I wish I could care, but I don't. The bar has been raised so far in terms of price that I can't afford 800 dollars or more in a graphics card. Even if I could I would problably not spend that much.
  11. dividebyzero

dividebyzero trainee n00b Posts: 4,891   +1,258

I doubt the card will be competing against any Kepler architecture GPU. Nvidia's Maxwell based GM204 and GM206 are both slated to appear in the same timeframe as the AMD refresh. As I mentioned a couple of months back, Maxwell will likely also use HBM. At least one of the Maxwell GPUs is also being touted as having an H.265 HVEC supported NVENC encode engine.
  12. misor

misor TS Evangelist Posts: 1,157   +195

it may be a too flashy name but the suggested name made me chuckle. thank you guest. :)
  13. AMD R9 299X is better...