Rumor: AMD's Llano to remain in short supply until 2012

Jos

Staff

Last week, AMD revised its third quarter revenue forecast warning that manufacturing issues at GlobalFoundries had curbed supply of Llano processors. The company said they were throwing substantial resources at improving 32nm yields and that progress was being made. However, according to a report by DigiTimes citing sources from motherboard makers, the situation may not improve until sometime next year.

The site notes that AMD started suffering from Llano APU supply shortages in July due to yield issues. Although it originally expected things to go back to normal in September, DigiTimes' sources claim supply volume is unlikely to meet client demand through the end of 2011. What's more, they say that supply of 32nm APUs won't recover until AMD rolls out its next-generation Trinity chips in the first quarter of 2012.

As previously reported, Trinity APUs will first arrive as part of the Comal laptop platform and they'll co-exist for a quarter with the current Sabine platform powered by Llano chips. AMD's existing A60M and A70M Fusion Controller Hubs (FCH) will continue to be the base for new Trinity chips, meaning the refresh will be a drop-in upgrade for existing laptop designs.

On the desktop side they'll arrive as part of the Virgo platform. The mainstream parts will come with a Radeon HD 7000-series "Southern Islands" graphics refresh and will swap the "Husky" cores for "Piledriver" cores, which are enhanced variants of the new 32nm Bulldozer core found on the upcoming FX Series for desktops.

Permalink to story.

You know, for the first time, I'm super confused about AMD's future architectures. I barely where the hell they are now.

I agree with Jibberish18.

The HD 7000 series is not something I am waiting for. It will be another GPU that is Direct X 11 compatible. I will wait for the hd 8000 series. They will be better and might even support the new, if it comes out, Direct X 12.

As for the FX, I will wait for next year to see if the Enhanced series come out, or if Intel seems to be a good competitor for the price (I doubt that - this place belongs to AMD)

Jibberish18 said:
You know, for the first time, I'm super confused about AMD's future architectures. I barely where the hell they are now.

You know, for the first time, I'm super-confused about AMD's FUTURE -- let alone their architecture.

It seems, for the first time in years, that AMD is a company without a compass. It's like the unspeakable chasing after the inedible -- except in this case, it's more like the unwilling chasing the unwanted. And there are some good reasons why.

- Intel may not be competitive price-wise, but when it comes to enthusiast (gamers and serious computists) they deliver a better product.

- ARM has taken gigundous chomps out of the mobile market.

- AMD hasn't kept up with the times manufacturing-wise. You can't have delays on your production line if you wish to keep customers interested.

I'm NOT predicting anything about AMD. I have no idea what will happen to the company. They could go belly-up in six months, or take over world-wide sales by then. However, in the short run, they are giving their investors good reason to invest in Procter and Gamble stock.

sammyjames said:
Jibberish18 said:

You know, for the first time, I'm super-confused about AMD's FUTURE -- let alone their architecture.

It seems, for the first time in years, that AMD is a company without a compass. It's like the unspeakable chasing after the inedible -- except in this case, it's more like the unwilling chasing the unwanted. And there are some good reasons why.

- Intel may not be competitive price-wise, but when it comes to enthusiast (gamers and serious computists) they deliver a better product.

- ARM has taken gigundous chomps out of the mobile market.

- AMD hasn't kept up with the times manufacturing-wise. You can't have delays on your production line if you wish to keep customers interested.

I'm NOT predicting anything about AMD. I have no idea what will happen to the company. They could go belly-up in six months, or take over world-wide sales by then. However, in the short run, they are giving their investors good reason to invest in Procter and Gamble stock.

AMD does bad and people predict the worse for them. AMD does good and people predict the worst in them. Hah. Not saying that you can't predict anything about AMD. I sort of know where you're coming from. But they did say that they want to or at least seem to want to focus on the tablet and ultra portable laptop market.

Jibberish18 said:
[I sort of know where you're coming from. But they did say that they want to or at least seem to want to focus on the tablet and ultra portable laptop market.

Hmm... interesting. They could have fooled me! If they want THAT so bad, then what is up with the plethora of 125W six-core Thubans and Denebs? Seriously -- it's like ARM has castrated the entire PC chip-making world without lifting a finger.

I believe that if AMD were serious about getting into the mobile device market, they would partner with ARM and come out with an 8-core ARM processor. Now, true -- that is only my view. But I can support that claim by pointing out how Apple and Microsoft have both created software for ARM-chips -- and of course, AMD pretty much relies almost solely on MS for their sales. Plus, ARM IS the future of mobile computing, period. Intel might sway some netbook buyers with Ivy Bridge, but the vast majority of the gadgets that we'll be buying in the next five years will run on ARM technology.

Or something like that...

AMD just can't catch a break. Just when they have something that sells pretty well, they're plagued with poor 32-nm yields for their Llano APUs. Here's hoping that they can finally get the company back on track with the October 12 launch of the Bulldozer line.

Back