Rumor: Microsoft to quadruple Kinect accuracy via update

Emil

Staff

Microsoft is working to quadruple the accuracy of the Kinect motion control system. The improvements will come in a forthcoming dashboard update, according to Eurogamer.

The update will significantly improve Kinect's performance; the device currently has a resolution limit of 320x240, but the rumored update would increase this to 640x480. Furthermore, the update could also increase the amount of data that the sensor can transfer, from 15 or 16MB per second to 35MB per second. The end result would be a much more precise device: it would be able to recognize things like the rotation of the user's hand or even individual fingers.

Kinect's current data limitations are in place so that the Xbox 360 can support multiple USB devices at one time. Microsoft is working on improving the technology to get around this restriction but it's not yet clear if the software giant will be able to pull it off. In any case, we won't know for sure until the company confirms the rumor, which likely won't happen until they achieve the feat and are reasonably happy with the results. If it really is in the works, the firmware update would arrive in the spring of next year, though developers would probably get to work with it sooner.

Permalink to story.

nice, but that won't improve the lag/latency.............................................................................................................................. ................................................................................................................................................................. kinnect responds -> "nice, but that won't improve the lag/latency"

I don't buy it. How can a software update improve the ability of hardware? MSoft cheaped out on the Kinect to save money, and now they can supposedly bring the cheap thing up to the quality they originally showed off when it debuted last year? If I'm reading this right, MSoft actually crippled an already cheaped out device for launch and will now "improve" upon it, or, in other words, bring it up to it's actual regular quality.

Oh well, who cares anyways. One thing they fail to mention with the Kinect is that you HAVE to have a 40+ inch HDTV to use it properly. Anything smaller than that or any CRT tv and you are out of luck.

The TV has nothing to do with the Kinnect??? why would the size of the tv matter, you could play it on a 14" TV if you really wanted.

Guest said:
The TV has nothing to do with the Kinnect??? why would the size of the tv matter, you could play it on a 14" TV if you really wanted.
Perhaps he meant that you have to be taller than 40"?

@Guest 5:53 Perhaps he ment to say and I quote "Duuuuurrrr"

Oh and you can improve a hardware device a hell of alot with a software update, look at graphics cards. Plus read the article properly, it says the camera is only working at 320x240 which can be upped to 640x480, they throttled it back because of usb transfer rates on the xbox when other devices are in use, which is what the patch is going to try and address.

So smile and embrace the new technology, no really, because it WILL know if you are not!

@ those who don't understand why you HAVE to have a 40+ inch hdtv to use Kinect...

You have to stand approx. 8 feet back from the tv/kinect to get sensed correctly. Good luck seeing your 14" screen from 8 feet away. Heck, I figured with my 32" crt tv I'd be ok, but NOPE! Gotta be 40+ inches, and I believe the recommended screen size by most "experts" now is a 50+ inch hdtv to properly use kinect.

My kids only have to stand about 5' from our 32" and it works great. Not sure what issues others "appear" to be having but ours works super and my kids LOVE it!!! It gets my vote for the new tech of the year!

cool kinnect is awesome !! it works fine withe every tv i play it on a old tv and it works perfect
i also like the idea that the update the firmware driver 2 beter motion detection i wanna move the fingers of the game characters i hope also they wil gain the posibility 2 play shooters of other stuff like figthing games where you can create your owne move

Back