TechSpot

Rumor: Nvidia to release a premium tablet powered by Tegra 5 SoC

By Shawn Knight
Aug 8, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Word on the street says Nvidia is developing one or maybe even two tablets that will be released early next year. At least one of the slates is rumored to be a high-end unit powered by the company’s own Tegra...

Read more

2. tipstir

tipstir TS Ambassador Posts: 4,754   +96

Typo there it's The operating system is the latest Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean version is used. Not Android 2.2.2 Froyo is older. These faster tablets they have now come with hefty price tag as well Nothing wrong with Tegra2 with 1GB of RAM I still using my 2x Toshiba Thrive Tablets both with 16GB of IS (internal storage) and 16GB Class 10 for ES (external storage) which is max out at 32GB. hefty enough if I need to go that high. Most of what I do is on my NAS and Box.com enough storage on both.

3. VitalyT

VitalyT TS Evangelist Posts: 1,973   +587

And just how much power will such solution consume? NVidia is known for hungry products, which isn't welcome in the mobile market.

Last I saw them flogging Tegra 4 and then going quiet for a while - either busy counting the money from sales or because it didn't sell at all,...I didn't care much which it was. But something tells me they are not doing well in that segment, hence the quick jumps to the next generation.

How long before they get it right though? Remains to be seen...

4. tipstir

tipstir TS Ambassador Posts: 4,754   +96

You got software and hardware glitches. Might never get it right in the end. But they'll give it a try though.

5. JC713

JC713 TS Evangelist Posts: 7,082   +920

It stinks that nVidias mobile chip division took a hit this quarter. They have to gain the edge over Snapdragon.

6. MrAnderson

MrAnderson TS Maniac Posts: 488   +10

My concern with tablets these days is being able to get the latest upgrade in Android. This kind of is the part that sucks as we are at the mercy of the manufacturers to update the software. I'm used to having that control and I still don't like giving it up. There is one main positive owning an Apple device; you know you are going to get the latest version of iOS until the bottom is falling out of your old ares hardware.

Nevertheless, I would look forward to more options. Nvidia does have the software engineering prowess to keep the OS up-to-date too.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.