Rumor points to GeForce GTX 750 Ti as Nvidia's first 'Maxwell' GPU

Scorpus

Staff member

We've been treated to Nvidia's Kepler architecture for a few years now, forming the basis of the GTX 600 and 700 series. With graphics card refreshes occuring nearly every year, it makes logical sense that Nvidia would turn to their next-generation architecture, 'Maxwell', for their upcoming GPU line.

rumor geforce gtx nvidia maxwell gpu geforce graphics card gtx 750 ti

What isn't so clear, though, is what graphics card would be the first to incorporate Maxwell. The latest rumor points to the GeForce GTX 750 Ti as being the first Maxwell card, which may come as a surprise to some, especially as the card would replace the GTX 650 Ti in the $149 to $169 price range.

However it's expected that the 750 Ti would serve as a test platform for Maxwell on a TSMC 28nm process - the current process used for Kepler-based 700 series GPUs - before the architechture gets slimmed down to 20nm for higher performance parts, likely to be named under the GTX 800 series. No other details for the card, such as clock speeds, shader processor counts, or performance figures, were shared.

The 750 Ti will reportedly launch on February 18th, bringing new features as part of the shift to Maxwell. One such feaure is unified virtual memory (UVM), which allows the CPU and GPU to essentially share the same memory; other improvements in the architecture will focus on power optimization, and performance per watt.

Permalink to story.

Maybe not, but performance is rumored to be just shy of a 660 (meaning, about equal to a 650 Ti Boost, if the leaked charts aren't fake). Not a very good spot to fill, as Nvidia already has enough cards in that performance space.

I don't see a reason for them to honestly launch this card since they are working towards launching the full "Maxwell" line this year and probably in the next couple of months after that. Even though this is shifted add the lower spectrum (Sub $200), I feel if they just ignored this card and launched a similar performance cards (IE 850 or 850ti) it would be better served. However since they intend to test "Maxwell" out in the open with this card I see this mostly as an experimental card in that respect.

I agree, if it ends up being on par with the 650 Ti BOOST/660 at the same price it really is a pointless card.

I just bought a 760 SC from EVGA (factory OCed) and the performance gain from my previous 660 vanilla was greater than I expected (on some games it performs like a 670 or even pretty damn close to a 680).

I agree, if it ends up being on par with the 650 Ti BOOST/660 at the same price it really is a pointless card.
I don't see it that way. Anyone upgrading from a card that is on par with the one they are looking at, is a pointless upgrade. Anyone who upgrades for only 10% performance has money burning a hole in their pocket. People who purchase this card would likely be choosing between the two, not replacing one for the other.

I don't see it that way. Anyone upgrading from a card that is on par with the one they are looking at, is a pointless upgrade. Anyone who upgrades for only 10% performance has money burning a hole in their pocket. People who purchase this card would likely be choosing between the two, not replacing one for the other.
What I meant was that if you're in the market for a "budget" gaming card you may want to wait for the GTX 750 Ti, but if the performance is the same as the GTX 650 Ti or 660 (that you can get NOW), then it's pointless, as there is no reason for this GPU to exist at all (except milking money from customers). Let's hope this card comes with some performance gains and new features.

Will the power requirements for this card be lower than the 650 ti. If so I would be interested.

I hope the new cards will have DisplayPort 1.3 and HDMI 2.0
That would be excellent.

The 650Ti boost has a TDP of 134W... now if the 750Ti has equal performance and runs at 80w TDP or even 95w TDP still using the same 28nm tech... that's a HUGE improvement. This means they could make Low Profile versions for great performance in HTPCs/Steam Boxes. We'll have to see how much power it chews, but I think it could fill some serious gaps if it's low enough.

I just bought a 760 SC from EVGA (factory OCed) and the performance gain from my previous 660 vanilla was greater than I expected (on some games it performs like a 670 or even pretty damn close to a 680).

The 760 is a rebrand of the 670, there is almost no difference. It is not however powerful enough to challenge the 680, it is close but not close enough ;)
I have the 760 too, it's a great card.

It seems a bit cheeky for them to use us as their beta testers for a new architecture. Have they fixed the driver problems with the 'ti' cards? I had a 560ti and drivers were a constant issue causing crashes and all sorts. Well documented on forums, some thought it was related to the Vclock but I never narrowed it down.

The 760 isn't a rebranded 670. It's got fewer shaders but the same bandwidth. It's closer to just below a 660 Ti, though it doesn't suffer from the neutered bandwidth. The OEM-only 760 Ti is literally just a rebranded 670 though.

I'm okay with this card being just an experiment, but I hope it at least brings something interesting to the table. I'm curious about the power consumption in particular.

The 760 is a rebrand of the 670, there is almost no difference. It is not however powerful enough to challenge the 680, it is close but not close enough ;)

It seems a bit cheeky for them to use us as their beta testers for a new architecture. Have they fixed the driver problems with the 'ti' cards? I had a 560ti and drivers were a constant issue causing crashes and all sorts. Well documented on forums, some thought it was related to the Vclock but I never narrowed it down.
The 760 is more of a 660Ti not a 760 as there are less shaders on it than in the GTX 670. There is an OEM only option that I have never seen in public GTX 760Ti that is basically a re-badged GTX 670.

Edit: Someone posted this before me, did not see the post.

The 760 is more of a 660Ti not a 760 as there are less shaders on it than in the GTX 670. There is an OEM only option that I have never seen in public GTX 760Ti that is basically a re-badged GTX 670.

Edit: Someone posted this before me, did not see the post.

I have been proved wrong, that's twice today. My mistake!

Back