Rumor points to GeForce GTX 750 Ti as Nvidia's first 'Maxwell' GPU

By Scorpus
Jan 20, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. We've been treated to Nvidia's Kepler architecture for a few years now, forming the basis of the GTX 600 and 700 series. With graphics card refreshes occuring nearly every year, it makes logical sense that Nvidia would turn to their...

Read more
  2. Gaara

Gaara Newcomer, in training Posts: 45

$149 to $169 price? not bad price!!
  3. tomkaten

tomkaten TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 69   +25

Maybe not, but performance is rumored to be just shy of a 660 (meaning, about equal to a 650 Ti Boost, if the leaked charts aren't fake). Not a very good spot to fill, as Nvidia already has enough cards in that performance space.
  4. GhostRyder

GhostRyder TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 2,133   +495

I don't see a reason for them to honestly launch this card since they are working towards launching the full "Maxwell" line this year and probably in the next couple of months after that. Even though this is shifted add the lower spectrum (Sub $200), I feel if they just ignored this card and launched a similar performance cards (IE 850 or 850ti) it would be better served. However since they intend to test "Maxwell" out in the open with this card I see this mostly as an experimental card in that respect.
  5. Experimentongod

Experimentongod Newcomer, in training Posts: 61   +15

I agree, if it ends up being on par with the 650 Ti BOOST/660 at the same price it really is a pointless card.

I just bought a 760 SC from EVGA (factory OCed) and the performance gain from my previous 660 vanilla was greater than I expected (on some games it performs like a 670 or even pretty damn close to a 680).
  6. VitalyT

VitalyT TechSpot Guru Posts: 1,571   +480

I hope the new cards will have DisplayPort 1.3 and HDMI 2.0
  7. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TechSpot Paladin Posts: 5,763   +1,423

I don't see it that way. Anyone upgrading from a card that is on par with the one they are looking at, is a pointless upgrade. Anyone who upgrades for only 10% performance has money burning a hole in their pocket. People who purchase this card would likely be choosing between the two, not replacing one for the other.
  8. Experimentongod

Experimentongod Newcomer, in training Posts: 61   +15

What I meant was that if you're in the market for a "budget" gaming card you may want to wait for the GTX 750 Ti, but if the performance is the same as the GTX 650 Ti or 660 (that you can get NOW), then it's pointless, as there is no reason for this GPU to exist at all (except milking money from customers). Let's hope this card comes with some performance gains and new features.
  9. Railman

Railman TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 547   +72

Will the power requirements for this card be lower than the 650 ti. If so I would be interested.
  10. theBest11778

theBest11778 TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 149   +32

That would be excellent.

The 650Ti boost has a TDP of 134W... now if the 750Ti has equal performance and runs at 80w TDP or even 95w TDP still using the same 28nm tech... that's a HUGE improvement. This means they could make Low Profile versions for great performance in HTPCs/Steam Boxes. We'll have to see how much power it chews, but I think it could fill some serious gaps if it's low enough.
  11. cartera

cartera TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 140   +14

The 760 is a rebrand of the 670, there is almost no difference. It is not however powerful enough to challenge the 680, it is close but not close enough ;)
    I have the 760 too, it's a great card.

It seems a bit cheeky for them to use us as their beta testers for a new architecture. Have they fixed the driver problems with the 'ti' cards? I had a 560ti and drivers were a constant issue causing crashes and all sorts. Well documented on forums, some thought it was related to the Vclock but I never narrowed it down.

12. The 760 isn't a rebranded 670. It's got fewer shaders but the same bandwidth. It's closer to just below a 660 Ti, though it doesn't suffer from the neutered bandwidth. The OEM-only 760 Ti is literally just a rebranded 670 though.

I'm okay with this card being just an experiment, but I hope it at least brings something interesting to the table. I'm curious about the power consumption in particular.
  13. GhostRyder

GhostRyder TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 2,133   +495

The 760 is more of a 660Ti not a 760 as there are less shaders on it than in the GTX 670. There is an OEM only option that I have never seen in public GTX 760Ti that is basically a re-badged GTX 670.

Edit: Someone posted this before me, did not see the post.
  14. cartera

cartera TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 140   +14

I have been proved wrong, that's twice today. My mistake!

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.