Rumor suggests Samsung Galaxy S7 will have pressure sensitive screen

Scorpus

Staff member

Considering Samsung typically launches a new flagship smartphone in the first few months of the year, it shouldn't be overly surprising that rumors relating to the Galaxy S7 are starting to appear with greater frequency.

The latest rumor, as reported by The Wall Street Journal, suggests that the Korean giant will be adding a pressure sensitive touchscreen to the Galaxy S7. The screen will feature functionality similar to Apple's 3D Touch display in the iPhone 6s and 6s Plus, giving users extra methods of interaction through pressing harder on the display.

The WSJ also suggests that the Galaxy S7 will feature a reversible USB Type-C port and much faster charging, allowing the battery to be charged fully in under 30 minutes "and in some cases significantly faster than that". The camera will be improved as well, with better low-light performance in a slimmer module, removing the need for a camera hump.

Design-wise, the Galaxy S7 is said to be very similar to the Galaxy S6, and of course Samsung is planning to release it alongside a curved-screen Galaxy S7 Edge. Some variants of the device could feature a retina scanner, while the non-Edge model could bring back the microSD card slot.

Surprising no one, it's expected the Galaxy S7 and S7 Edge will be unveiled at Mobile World Congress in late February, ahead of a mid-March release. Unfortunately we haven't heard any rumors about Samsung increasing the size of the battery inside the Galaxy S7: an improvement that, unlike a pressure sensitive touchscreen, is most needed after the poor battery performance of the Galaxy S6.

Permalink to story.

There's so many rumours but I'd be surprised if it doesn't incorporate some kind of force touch. Their bosom buddies Apple, have it and they wouldn't want to be left out in the cold.
Anyway I'm sure the S7 will look remarkably similar to the S6, it's a lovely design and there's no need to change it, yet.
That said, although I'll keep taking an interest in it till it gets released, I'm not concerned with what it incorporates or doesn't, I won't be buying one, I'm not wasting money on a high end device that I don't need.

Really, the only thing here that piques my interest is the full charge in under 30 minutes. That's kinda crazy. Still not gonna buy one though...

Must have Micro SD Slot - But until a battery last 48 hours - I want a replaceable battery!
Double that. Who cares about pressure sensitive screen when no one can replace the battery and cannot download large file because is running out of space.

Back