Rumor: Windows Phone 8.1 will kill hardware back button

By Scorpus
Oct 10, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Microsoft is preparing a major update to Windows Phone, dubbed Windows Phone 8.1 or Windows Phone 'Blue', which is due to reach devices in 2014. According to well-known Microsoft expert Paul Thurrott, Windows Phone 8.1 might do something radical: kill...

Read more
    cliffordcooley likes this.
  2. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 2,911   +724

Hmmm. Do you remember when MS removed the start button in Win 8?... It may have annoyed one or two people.
    freythman likes this.
  3. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TechSpot Paladin Posts: 5,803   +1,433

Fixed that for you.
    Skidmarksdeluxe likes this.
  4. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 2,911   +724

:) I was being facetious for a change.
    cliffordcooley likes this.
  5. nismo91

nismo91 TechSpot Guru Posts: 1,000   +11

Bing button is the one that has to disappear. if they remove back button, I wont upgrade
    gamoniac likes this.
  6. OneSpeed

OneSpeed Newcomer, in training Posts: 114   +24

MS might have been fixed, but I still don't have it yet, and it's so annoying. MS is in a state of fixing things. Sometimes, I think they're their worst enemy.
  7. hahahanoobs

hahahanoobs TechSpot Booster Posts: 956   +96

Microsoft loves wasting money on hardware, and alienating their customers over their questionable decisions on software...
    First, WP7 phones couldn't get the WP8 update, and now WP8.1 makes the back button useless on devices that supported WP8. But wait! They will add it as an onscreen button? So ah, why not just leave it like it is on devices that already have the damn button, and omit it on future phones.

Also, look at all that space between the bottom of the screen and the bottom of the phone in the thumbnail. That's a lot of space for 3 buttons, and they (potentially) want to make it even more unnecessary? IMO, you only get rid of hardware buttons to make the screen bigger, not the phone.

I hope this rumour isn't true, but if it is, I feel sorry for NOKIA and WP users.
  8. learninmypc

learninmypc TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 5,159   +225

Bing should be gone IMO. :)
    coppersloane likes this.
  9. gamoniac

gamoniac TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 215   +46

Totally agreed. I keep hitting the Bing button by accident. The back button is the most used one of the three. I hope MS is not going to mess this one up. Please, so some darn research or focus groups before messing with my buttons!
  10. coppersloane

coppersloane TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 108   +33

People are so archaic. It's an effing button.
  11. learninmypc

Can you define "effing"? On second thought, don't. I just googled it. Naughty.
    coppersloane likes this.

12. JC713

JC713 TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 6,797   +882

I dont get why MS is removing something that no one asked for them to remove.
    learninmypc likes this.
  13. learninmypc

I don't understand why MS does alot of things. I think they should listen to the people buying/using their product & not their so-called experts. I guess thats why linux is popular. I don't have it, but..............
    JC713 likes this.
  14. gamoniac

gamoniac TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 215   +46

Don't you push my button!
  15. tonylukac

tonylukac TechSpot Maniac Posts: 831   +20

Sounds like they're a bunch of dumbbells. Sounds more like a dumbphone.
  16. Rubbish. Thurrott has been wrong before, and frankly I think now he likes to get his name out there by stating outrageous things to see how many hits it gets.

Perhaps he should be working at Fox News.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.