Rumour: Nvidia GT300 to be faster than HD 5870

Status
Not open for further replies.

Punkid

Now that we have a good idea on HD 5870's performance, Fudzilla reports that its sources have great confidence that GT300 will end up faster than the HD 5870. Judging by the "absolute confidence", it might end up quite a bit faster too.

The GT300 will also have a dual GPU version, which will outperform Hemlock (dual 5870).

Fudzilla also suggests a "late November" release date, which is quite early relative to other rumours.

So, there you have it. If, as Fudzilla's sources claim, Nvidia can manage to make GT300 with decent yields and a die size not much bigger than Cypress, releasing late November, suddenly, we have the tables turned - and Nvidia in the driver's seat.

We can also expect more information and samples by the end of this month, as previously rumoured.

It is quite possible that both these news are true - GT300 may indeed be a tremendous chip. At the same time, it may be impractical to fabricate. It might be one of those things "too good to be real". After all, Fuad didn't mention yield, and Charlie didn't mention performance.

One of the rules often followed by GPU makers has been - "shrink first, architecture second". (Reflected by Intel's tick-tock approach as well) As we know, Nvidia are champions of shrinking in the last few years. This time, however, Nvidia has jumped straight onto the 40nm bandwagon, with a brand new architecture. ATI had the good mind to try out 40nm with RV740 (HD 4770), which did indeed suffer significant yield issues, despite being a relatively straightforward shrink. No doubt this data helped them fine tune Evergreen chips. Till date, Nvidia's GT200b 40nm shrinks have been largely unavailable, seen only in few OEM systems. It may be true that Nvidia is suffering from yield issues across all 40nm products. Needless to say, moving straight to a troublesome process with a revolutionary architecture and a big die is a major gamble to say the least.

We will keep a close eye on how the GT300 develops.

Good point, the 40nm chips may be difficult to fabricate, delaying the production process further. nVidia historically has always 1uped ATI, so I doubt it will be different this time around as well. Price to performance ratio however, is another matter all together and I expect ATI to lead the way once again in that aspect.

yes ATI has been known for its better BANG FOR THE BUCK thingy and i think it will continue but the performance crown will probably stay with nvidia

Those of us on a shoestring budget like myself, will greatly appreciate ATI catering to that group. If had a 6 figure gross annual income, I would only think green as well.

Now that we have a good idea on HD 5870's performance, Fudzilla reports that its sources have great confidence that GT300 will end up faster than the HD 5870. Judging by the "absolute confidence", it might end up quite a bit faster too.

except that 'article' and those 'sources' are not sourced. i take Fudzilla with several grains of salt.

Well we can't really say what'll happen. Results will be had when the Hemlock competes against the GT300s. :)

@red : have you managed to get your hands on the HD5870 yet?

Well we can't really say what'll happen. Results will be had when the Hemlock competes against the GT300s. :)

@red : have you managed to get your hands on the HD5870 yet?

No Rit, I am waiting for the 'mass production they claim next month, as I am getting four of them for my new build. (or two of the 5870 x 2's)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back