Run command

tkr3alm3r

Running Win 7 x64 SP1 on my laptop

I have an issue with using the "Win+R" for run command dialog box
After the run dialog box pops up, I type: %AppData%\xxxxxxxxx\etc..... and hit OK

It launches the open with programs dialog box instead of the folder in explorer:

ZN92VzP.jpg

However, does not occur on my desktop, of which I can navigate to required folder with %AppData%\etc...

That said the command: %windir% works flawlessly and opens the windows folder as it supposed to.
Can anyone provide a fix/registry entry to modify so it will work.

I'd prefer to not format and re-install the OS if it can be avoided.

Thanks very much for any advice/suggestions

I'm afraid your post is not quite clear enough. When you type %AppData%\xxxxxxxxx\etc..... and hit OK in the run dialogue, what are you actually keying? Is it just a path description, or a path ending in a program command, or a path ending at a document name or what ? What does just keying %appdata% alone lead to ?

Perhaps your confusion would be less if you read what the Run dialogue actually says, which is 'Type the name of a program, folder, document, or internet resource, and Windows will open it for you'.

This essentially means Windows takes note of where whatever you key in ends up at, and then attempts to 'open' that. So for a keyed document name, 'open' means it must choose the program specified to open that type of document (as shown in your snapshot, in which some file or other you have keyed does NOT have a unique defined application to open it, so presents all the possibilities to you.)

Keying just %windir% amounts to keying a folder name - I.e. the location of the shortcut %windir% which is normally C:\windows for example. So windows opens that in explorer, just as expected.

In short, I dont know what you are expecting to happen, but you are probably not keying the right thing in it's entirety.

Also: Running anything in the AppData area is inherently risk as there should not be any EXE files located therein. This is where almost every virus / trojan starts its life on your system. upload_2015-4-30_10-35-22.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks again very much for your replies guys,

@ "jobeard"

It's nothing too sinister I hope. (no executable files, viruses or trojans, etc, just trying to have an explorer window pop up with the folder path I put in the run dialog)

@ "gbhall"

I'm using the run cmd to open a specific folder.
It's basically a pathway, but for the life of me cannot figure out why it launches the "opens with" dialog box and not explorer.

I'm currently debugging a program called KODI (XBMC), testing on my laptop, pre-to-pushing files onto GIT repo.

(As a workaround, I can navigate to required folder via opening explorer and clicking through the sub-folders needed. But its a bit tedious when you've multiple folder locations to drill down to, in contrast to quick/easy folder navigation using drop-down history of my prior run cmd's)

I.e. run cmd entered:
Windows Key + R: %appdata%\Kodi\userdata\Database\

Above cmd works on the desktop, however fails on the laptop. I did try selecting explorer.exe at the prompt, but it loops back to "open with")

Additionally I checked the COM class string entry value data for: exefiles. The value was set: "%1" %*, meaning a default open command so its strange the folder path operates like an unassociated .exe, instead of a launching another explorer process instance.

Any further help you can provide is greatly appreciated.

• Find out why your screenshot shows a filename at all (assuming it does - greyed out).
  • Try removing the terminal '\' (dont think it makes any difference though).
  • Check the properties of the .....\database\ folder. There may be some unusual property set, such as 'not shared' or the user may have no rights to see anything at all.
  • Check the security properties of the folder
  • Look at the active rights of the folder for the user involved.
  • You can easily create an environment variable pointing to the actual folder, and then just key that variable name into the run box.

Last edited:
Back