RunDLL - Cannot Open Images - Vista

Status
Not open for further replies.

AliTheBrit

Hi guys, great forum by the way.

Ok my problem started when I saved a few JPEG images to my computer from a trusted website
(http://wall.alphacoders.com/)

When I tried to open the images I got the following message:

" RunDLL

Error Loading C:\Program Files\Windows Photo Gallery\PhotoViewer.dll

The system cannot find message text for message number 0x%1 in the message file for %2.
"

Screenshot of Image:

errorkgo.jpg

So i deleted the images and re-saved them to computer and tried again but still nothing, I then realised ALL images on my computer (all types, not just JPEG) refused to open and gave the same message, Also all other media and apps are working just fine.

So I re-booted

Still not working, so I did a complete clean using the fantastic AusLogistics, Disk-defrag, Disk-clean up, Install-clean up, you name it! I did it all

Re-boot, still not working

So thought it may be security based.

I did a complete scan using:

Avast! Anti-Virus 4.8 Proffesional Edition
AVG 8.5 (Premium)

Re-boot, STILL not working.

I have tried everything I can, so now im coming to you guys for help :( please help!

Follow the instructions here for the Integration with the Windows Vista Photo Gallery:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc956192(VS.85).aspx#_photogallery

In the future, please keep in mind that there are more people with problems than there are volunteer helpers to fix them. bumping after only 12 hours is frowned on.

I'm glad you like the forum, but you have used up half the bandwidth with your huge image! Please learn how to do a screen shot of the uppermost Window and not the entire desktop.

I have no idea what any of that means?!?!

also When I right click an image there is no option to set as background image.

Im so fed up :( I just want this problem solved im sorry i wasted bandwith :(

Are you interested in learning what it means?

In short, I asked you to be more patient.
I said you only need to copy the error message, not the entire desktop.- the bandwidth comment was a little flip!
Then I gave you a fix.

Everyone who comes here has a problem. All want it fixed now. Frustration runs high on both sides.

Did you try the fix?

Okay, you're going to need someone who is experienced to have hands on help. It requires work in the Registry.

Avast! Anti-Virus 4.8 Proffesional Edition
AVG 8.5 (Premium)

It appears you have two security suites on the system, both having antivirus programs and possibly firewalls also. They are paid programs but you need to remove one of them. I suggest you uninstall AVG.

It sounds like there might be something corrupt in the viewing process or even the graphics card. But I'm not getting any message from you about tackling it. It would be best to take the computer into a computer shop to fix.

There are other things you can do, like a System Restore. If you decide to give that a try, see:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/tutorial143.html

There are screen shots that will help you. You want to restore to a date right before you did the first download of the pictures. And take some advice> don't download those pictures again!

I'm not a mind reader Ali! So you've had the problem for over a week. Is there anything else you've tried? Do you remember downloading, installing, uninstalling anything or doing updates before the problem began?

Is the problem just with the pictures from the one site?

No and its with all pictures on my computer, also how do i remove the administor user? im already admin myself but that turned up and i dont know how to get rid of it

There h to be an administrative Account on the system. Why do you want to remove it?

The System File Checker tool

To determine whether the issue that you are experiencing is caused by one or more system files that are used by Windows Vista, run the System File Checker tool. The System File Checker tool scans system files and replaces incorrect versions of the system files by using the correct versions.

To run the System File Checker tool, follow these steps:

1.Click Start, and then type cmd in the Start Search box.

2. Right-click cmd in the Programs list, and then click Run as administrator.

3.If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type your password or click Continue

4.At the command prompt, type the following line, and then press ENTER: sfc /scannow

When the scan is complete, test to see whether the issue that you are experiencing is resolved.
OR
Do you have another user account that you can try Windows Photo Gallery and see if you get the same error message? If you do try it with another account and don't get the message try going through the following steps and see if it resolves your issue.

1. Click the Start orb

2. Type folder options in the Start Search box, and click the Folder Options program

3. Select the View tab

4. In the Advanced Settings window, underneath Hidden files and folders, select Show hidden files and folders

5. Click OK

6. Navigate to the following folder ( %user% is the name of the account having the problem):

C:\Users\%user%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Photo Gallery

7. Copy any files in here to another location as a back up and then delete them from the Windows Photo Gallery directory

Once the files are deleted, try to start Windows Photo Gallery.

After that go back in to folder options and select Do not show hidden files and folders

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back