Running a Forum - Not Very Easy

T

tifc8lraz

Me and TimeParadox have both merged ideas....one of having a forum (me), and TimeParadox supplying one. So about a month and a half later....I've found out that being an admin isn't as easy as it seems. So far, we have only 13 members, and have already had 2 spammers posting links (thank God for the ban button :grinthumb !). I just cannot percieve how someone could manage a forum with a total amound of ~15,000 active members :eek: ! I realize that moderators are used, as in my forum (my friend), although TechSpot most likely has better security with VBulletin than me with PhPBB2....which I'm getting tired of with the lack of admin options :( . Altogether I have to say that I now realize the reality of things when it comes to forums.....what an adventure it has been with testing countless hosts and even creating ~6 different servers hosted by various websites, and creating a forum from scratch (which can be very, very annoying :D). Although I do have the option of google ads to get money, but let's just say I'm not 18 yet....so that's out of the question....otherwise I would in a heatbeat :haha: ! I have tried PhPBB2, 3 Beta, and IPB so far, but I'm still searching for the perfect one... The good thing that has come out of this is some knowledge of PHP and installing and modding files through an FTP Client...which before my forum, I knew nothing about. The problem all comes down to this in the end though; money. I would love to have a VBulleting liscence, but I don't have $xxx.xx amount of spare money right now for one. I have thoroughly searched online different types of software, freeware and payware; new and old; servers and hosts...but I only have one thing to say....and it's to Julio....¡Buena suerte mi amigo :D!

Take a look here if you want. Me, my friend and TimeParadoX have worked a lot on it. I just hate the advertisements :mad: (the host needed money to keep up free hosting I think).

He is saying that if you made it where you have to be a member with 50+ posts in order to post links, then it will eliminate people with 0 posts coming in, posting spam links, and leaving. No one is going to spend the time to get 50 posts, then post spam links, and then get banned.

Oh, now I understand :D ! I have a visual confirmation, and a user email activation. The only problem with this is the fact that I'm running off a host, so I have no direct way to access the ftp server to change files. This is why I'm trying to switch my boards over :giddy: !

I have mine set as approval only...thankfully, or I'd be slammed w/ spam. I would think these *****s would have something better to do than mess w/ a rabbit forum!

Yeah cfit and Reaper ( his friend ) have done a most awesome job with the forums, I just sit there and post random Gmod pictures I made :)

kitty500cat said:
See you there! :D

Thanks kitty :wave: ! You have done some things Tp like....um....er.....*scratches head* :p.

The Best Feature
bantl4.gif

I just switched from PhPBB2 to VBulletin 3.6.4 here. We are just beginning the process of moving though, so the forum seems empty :( .

Hi cfitzarl, I went to the site and clicked join us. After I clicked the appropriate acceptance, the site prompted me no further. I will try later.
See you all there.

Yeah the 1st forum we had keeps messing up like that Stacey ( If you mean that forum ) so we have to switch to vBulletin :)

Back