Running a ide drive about too instal a s-ata drive and suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.

smeagle

i have a asus a7n8x deluxe mobo and have a wd 80 gig ide drive hooked up. I just bought a 120 gig samsung spin point s-ata drive and i have never used a s-ata drive before. I'm hoping i can use both with out too much problem just wondering if this is possible and if it is any suggestions on how too make this install less problamatic would be appreciated. thanks too anybody that responds too my post im not exactly a tech genius here!

It shouldn't be a problem as long as you don't try to RAID them together.

From the looks of it you can only RAID SATA drives together anyway so you should be ok.

I'm not sure about your controller, but if it forces you to make a RAID container just set up your SATA drive as a RAID 0.

Here's the manual for your board.

Hope this helps.

I may have to rescind my previous words.

Check this thread out:
https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic21984.html

There may be problems mixing the two. If you can experiment I would suggest it. If you are just using a secondary drive to store loose files like music or pics I wouldn't think there are any problems with it. However, 'tis better to err on the side of caution if you don't have any backups.

Good luck!

had no prob

i have the same motherboard and hard drive with a ide hooked up as well and io had no probs just make sure you sata controller is selected in your bios.

do not mix IDE and SATA, eventually you will have a system crash. Although it will work XP defaults to IDE during errors. Use one type or the other.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back