Running a large HD on an old Mother Board

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an AMD K6III 500 that i use for running a mail server and a few other things. it has served me well for almost a decade. The 20GB HD broke a few days ago and im looking for one to replace it with. I would gladly buy a new 40GB/80GB HD, the only question is, will the mother board support it?? Its a Shuttle 591P Mother Board. I updated its bios 2 or 3 years ago to enable it to run the 20GB HD. That bios update enabled a 'Large HD' support. Question is, how large is large? i cant seem to find any reference to it anywhere... Any idea if i could run a 40GB/80GB disk on that PC?
Any help will be widely appreciated, thanks.

You should be alright but what I would do is update your bios to the newest out there and then when you install XP use NTFS if you weren't already.

seth said:
I updated its bios 2 or 3 years ago to enable it to run the 20GB HD. That bios update enabled a 'Large HD' support. Question is, how large is large?
Either 32 GB or 128/137 GB, I guess.

I'd probably pick a 40 GB hdd and configure it as 32 GB one (can be done with a jumper) if the full capacity isn't recognized.

you should be fine at 80 gb I ran win98 se on 80 gb drive had no problems
check bios for enable large drives if that does not work LBA
just install on created partition and then make new formatted partitions
could pre format on another machine and on install the xp will see them
my old server with W2K was 450 celron 80gb

i've been down with the flu for a week... now im finally well enough to go and buy the disk.

my options are:

WD 80GB 7200RPM 8MB cache

Maxtor 80GB 7200RPM 8MB cache

and Seagate Baracuda 80GB 7200RPM 2MB cache

The Seagate has a 5 years warranty as opposed to the others' 3 years.

As i said before this PC run a few applications 24/7. I dont do any work on it so better performance due to larger cache isnt really an issue. Thats why im inclined towards buying the Seagate.

any thoughts here before i do?

The cache size is totally irrelevant, while the longer warranty is a very good thing.

With a modern OS, the effect of the cache is almost nonexistent.

got the seagate 80GB today.

just wanted to say that even though the bios i had was from 18/04/2000 it did NOT recognize the HD. i searched for a newer bios version and found the latest one is from march 2001. I upgraded the bios and it recognizes the HD!

latest bios version for a Shuttle 591P if it help anyone:

http://global.shuttle.com/Download/Download.asp

(use the 'search by model name')

Cheers :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back